5mm bolts that hold on valve cover.

7 replies to this topic
  • NevadaCR500

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:24 AM

What are the correct tools to use to torque the 5mm hex bolts that hold on the valve cover of a 2000 YZ426F? The one in the front was easy but the rear one is so close to the frame that I cannot get my torque wrench plus hex driver under there (I stripped out the bolt now I need another one :cry: ). Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jared

• bushy

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:41 AM

No point even torquing them....

Just make them tight but not death grip.

• Chills

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:57 AM

What He Said!!

• cowboyona426

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:13 AM

Get them tight, but not so tight that you can't move the cam easily with your hand- it should be able to spin freely instead of being tight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted January 19, 2005 - 12:04 PM

What he said.

• bushy

Posted January 19, 2005 - 12:38 PM

Get them tight, but not so tight that you can't move the cam easily with your hand- it should be able to spin freely instead of being tight.

He's talking about the valve cover cap not the cam caps themselves. :cry:

• jdd123

Posted January 19, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I bought a 1/4" socket that fits a 1/4" wrench and then a 5mm allen (the kind you put in magnetic tips on drills). After, tightening by hand, I use this setup with either a swivel or flex extension to torque. Someday, I will get a 5mm allen with a ball type end. Then cut off a short section of the ball end and fit it in a short 5mm socket. Might fit better.

Or if you have to, remove the engine mount.

• tnl

Posted January 19, 2005 - 07:48 PM

I use a 3.21 jigawat combo with a tp-4 universal dikfur handle.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.