XR650R Compression Shim Stack

7 replies to this topic
  • BRP27

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:00 AM

I am working on my front forks to get the "Fast trail Rider" setup. I am following the instructions from the "Pig Pen" via Bruce Borynack (thanks to both) :cry: . http://www.xr650r.us/forks/

These instructions have you replace the 2nd,3rd,and 4th shims and replace them with two 21 mm X .15 mm shims. What is the inside dia.? I ordered
21 mm (outside dia) X .15mm (thick) X 8mm (inside dia.) from Race Tech. Are these dimensions correct?

Also,looking at the before and after pictures on page 5 of 6, it looks like the shims are counted from right to left ( count from larger to smaller shims).

• BRP27

Posted January 18, 2005 - 05:13 PM

No one done this mod? Or no one remembers this level of detail?

Its OK we all get old. :cry:

• drex

Posted January 18, 2005 - 08:46 PM

No one done this mod? Or no one remembers this level of detail?

Its OK we all get old. :cry:

Sorry! I did the mod in September, I don't remember! Somewhere in a box I have a complete set of printouts with notes -- if I can find it I'll post!

• XR650Rrider

Posted January 19, 2005 - 08:36 AM

8mm is the correct ID. Your correct in your count. The larger shims are closest to the valve itself. Here is some additional info that pre-dated the other sites info.

http://www.thumperta...ead.php?t=89496

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRP27

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Thanks, The link is great

• BWB63

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Sorry I have been out of town for a big ride. Broke my collar bone after getting hit by another bike :cry:

It is 8mm ID.

This page is more up to date:

Fork Page Click Here: :cry:

The XR650R page moved here:

New XR650R Page Click Here: :cry:

• BRP27

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUESTION:On the forks,Because my weight is 175lbs to get the "Fast Trail Rider" I need to drill the compresion valve with a #27 drill bit, restack the shim stack on the compression valve ( per the above links) and refill with 2.5wt oil and thats it? Plusher ride. Since I am NOT going to stiffer springs I leave the rebound valve alone?
Sorry to hear about the collar bone BWB63!! :cry:

• BWB63

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:34 PM

That is it in a nut shell. Do you jump? Drop off's? You will have to adjust you rebound adjusters to be stiffer then they are now. Check your springs length and add shims (Ace Hardware has some harden 3/4" washers that work great, I use two on each side 6.7mm) till you have a spring length of 505mm. I run 510mm to make the front end ride a little higher through the whoops. I haven't finished that page yet but, I'll get to it soon. I need to finish the Suspension tuning page as well.

All about the XR650R Click Here: :cry:

XR650R Fork Page Click Here: :cry:

XR650R Shock Page Click Here: :cry:

XR650R Suspension Tuning page Click Here: :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.