New WR450. Love it, but, got some questions?

15 replies to this topic
  • motodude42

Posted January 18, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I have recently sold my 2001 YZ250F and bought myself a 05 WR450 since most of my riding is woods and desert. I must say I am very impressed and surprised with the power this thing has. My throttle stop is cut, grey wire disconnected and baffle is out of the exhaust. I have been reading on this site, which is awesome, and have learned that my needle is not adjustable? What is up with that? What is recommended for riding in altitudes between 2500 and 7500 ft. Also, no fuel screw? Will an external fuel screw work and how do you get to it. My dealer said something about drilling out a plug? I am very happy with the bike and don't want to sound like a whiner but... these are the things that I would expect from the TTR line. Can someone also tell me a little about the JD kit. What does it come with and does it come with recommendations or a chart? Last question, I swear, does the AIS decrease power or performance in any way? I was hoping they had non-green sticker models. Oh well. I still love this bike a ton and would not buy anything else. :cry: Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully answer some questions for me. :cry:

• stonewall

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:08 AM

You don't have to drill out the cover over the fuel screw. It has a little hole in it and you can pop it off with a screw or finish nail in about 5 seconds.
If you are buying the JD kit the non adjustable needle is a non issue.
Get rid of the AIS. PM Lowedog for his block off kit. It's clean and the installation is easy. :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted January 18, 2005 - 10:00 AM

The corks are all about compliance (read:green sticker). Like "stonewall" said, just pluck the fuel screw cover out with a pick. I'd recommend getting the zip-ty fuel screw for adjustments (much easier and accurate).

The JD kit comes with main jets: 160,165,168,170. And it has two special tapered needles marked red and blue. The kit comes with settings for different elevations/temps.

"Lowedog" made a very sano elimination kit for the A.I.S. This will do a few things for your bike: Gets rid of backfire. Shave a little weight. And opens access to the rear shock adjusters.

Enjoy!!

• RichBaker

Posted January 18, 2005 - 10:27 AM

Those are all required to be EPA legal....an 04 WR needle works well, you have to drill the plug that blocks access to the fuel mix screw(EPA mandated...) and a Zip Ty or other extended screw will fit.
I didn't buy a JD kit and feel no need for it...but then, I know how to jet a bike... I bought 2 main jets, a pilot and starter jet, and 04 needle, spent less than $30 bucks for everything and she runs great! :cry:

• elton

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:38 AM

My throttle stop is cut, grey wire disconnected and baffle is out of the exhaust.

Don't forget to remove the airbox snorkel.

Elton

• motodude42

Posted January 18, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. :cry: Is the snorkel the air box lid? I actually forgot about opening that up. How is the seal on the air filter? Any problems? If I bought a YZ needle, what position would be equivalent to stock? 3rd or 4th position? The more answers I get, the happier I get with this bike. :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted January 18, 2005 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. :cry: Is the snorkel the air box lid? I actually forgot about opening that up. How is the seal on the air filter? Any problems? If I bought a YZ needle, what position would be equivalent to stock? 3rd or 4th position? The more answers I get, the happier I get with this bike. :cry:

3rd position is about equivalent to stock BUT, you probably want to run it in the 4th position.

• Mattheww

Posted January 18, 2005 - 05:04 PM

Remove both the air box lid & the snorkel. The snorkel is kind of difficult to get out but you can do it. It's the piece that divides the opening behind the battery into two airways with a blocked space between them. Remove it so you will have one large airway (it will effectively increase the opening by 33%).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtguy

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:17 AM

what is pm lowedog ??

• dirtguy

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:19 AM

what is pm lowedog ?? what is the JD kit?

• mark2025

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:32 AM

PM Lowdog = private message the user on here named Lowdog (he makes the kit that plugs the holes of the AIS (smog device) once you remove it

JD Kit = is the James Dean Carb Jetting Kit that many on here use (you can find more info about it in the store on this site)

• Texas4play

Posted January 19, 2005 - 03:56 PM

Lowedog is a TT member who made the a.i.s. elimination kit. PM means private message. Send him a private message if you are interested. The JD kit is a jet kit sold on Thumper Talk. Go to jetting forum and his ad banner is waving and you can click it to order.

• motodude42

Posted January 19, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thanks again everyone. This site rocks. Has anyone else sold their WR/YZ 250 and got the WR450? I am just wondering how long it will take to adjust?
I have not got it out other than a short dirt road. So far, I really like it.

• simica

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:39 PM

Just my 2 cents, but instead of the JD kit, I installed the Power Now, did all the free mods, one size bigger on starter, pilot, and main jets, and 1 and 3/4 turns out on a Storm fuel screw. The bike rocks! Can even keep up with my friends KTM 525 going through all the gears as well as top end. Still has a little hesitation some times on starting with the e button so I might go up one more size on the starter jet.

• motodude42

Posted January 20, 2005 - 10:48 AM

simica : Did you do anything with the needle?

• simica

Posted January 20, 2005 - 06:36 PM

No, the needle is stock. So far, I've only ridden my bike in the Ca. desert, just over 200 mi. at approx 2500 to 3000 ft. If I experience some problems when I take it up to higher elevations I may put a different needle in it. Good Luck! And definitely get the Power Now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.