New Engine Noise on 05 XR650L??

1 reply to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:41 PM

So I replaced my left crankcase cover (same side of the bike as the gear shift lever) last weekend. I think that I re-assembled the inards as I found them. I took her out for a little spin and heard a noise from the inside of the left crankcase cover, and I'm not sure if it is a new noise or that I have a sensative ear for that area of the engine after doing some work there.

I'll be accelerating and if I lay off the throttle and pull in the clutch I'll hear a faint little "tick, tick, tick" from inside of the left crankcase cover. As soon as I pop the clutch and hit the throttle again it goes away. It only happens when the bike is moving with the clutch in and the throttle off. I could not reproduce the sound with the bike idleing and on the sidestand.

So now I'm not sure if the sound was there all along and I should ignore it or if I should yank the crankcase cover off again and see if anything is loose. Any thoughts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 18, 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hmmm, while you're moving and have the clutch in, try killing the engine and see if the noise stays or goes. If its still there the quiet may help you track it down.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.