I'm New to the YZ426 and need HELP PLEASE!

4 replies to this topic
  • yz426'r

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:31 PM

I just bought a 2000 yz426 2 weeks ago and have riden it four times. I am now noticing that without using the decompression lever I hear a small amount of air coming from the engine when I'm trying to start. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:37 PM

The cylinder is not a 100% perfect seal with the piston, so if you stand on it long enough then yes the engine will turn over slowly. If you are able to kick it through fairly normally without using the compression release then that is not normal. In this case, the first thing to do is check your valve clearances.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldbones

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Does the bike have a decomp cam installed? If you can kick it through relatively easily without the lever, then it does. That would explain your noise as well, I believe.

• yzfmxer

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:13 PM

If you overrule the decom cam and the valve clearences, Its normal, i didnt have the 03 cam installed and my valve cleareneces were perfect, and it made a slight hissing noise if you stood on the kickstarter without using the compresion relese

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 18, 2005 - 04:28 AM

If that hissing sound is coming through the carb or the exhaust then you have a leaky valve or two, not normal. If the noise is coming through the cases (air leaking around the piston) then that is normal to an extent. If it's coming from the spark plug area then make sure you spark plug isn't loose. If you want to be 100% accurate then run a compression or leak-down test. But otherwise sounds normal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.