nx650 decompressor cam

No replies to this topic
  • reedvalve

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:19 PM

Hey folks,

I have a '89 NX650 with 32k miles that has become hard to start. The starter, battery & connections are all ok. Once started, the bike runs great. I figured the auto decompressor is faulty so I removed the camshaft to take a look. This was the first time I ever opened the top of this (or any similar) bike. The decompressor clutch looks fine - it rotates in one direction only . I don't know what to make of the decompressor cam though. It doesn't rotate on the shaft but can definitely move around a bit. And its not spring loaded the way the manual shows it should be (or I guess it should be - its not very clear if the spring bears against the cam). To top it off, I am having the hardest time removing the end collar that keeps all these parts together. It won't budge. I guess a big press is needed to push it off. I tried a pulley remover, a little heat and a dead blow hammer with zero results.

Should the decompressor cam be spring loaded?

I'm torn between buying an hydraulic press to dig into this one or getting a new camshaft assembly.

Thanks
Ethan

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.