bizare crash...ANYONE GOT A BUSTED YZF CARB???!!!

16 replies to this topic
  • bdmmotard

Posted January 17, 2005 - 03:59 PM

this is a first. the valve float on my 98wr400's flatslide broke, which caused the bike to rev mid turn, and a friend to crash on the motard track. problem is the man wants $80 for the piece of metal. anyone got a busted carb/can help me out? ??? please!

other concern is, would the chunk of metal, say 5mm x 10mm get sucked past the valves and into the cylinder? thanks in advance

it's number 12 here:
OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1998~model_dept_mfr~Yamaha~model_dept_id~392288~model_dept_name~WR400FK.asp' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://houseofmotorc...ame~WR400FK.asp :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted January 17, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, order just that part. The number is: 4FN-14546-00-00

There is a better site for looking up all your bike parts, it comes with all the OE numbers too. Check it out at: http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

The Bikebandit has an area where you can punch in the OE number at it will give you a price. Good luck. Hopefully, the engne didnt ingest it and destroy anything. Was it plastic?

• bdmmotard

Posted January 17, 2005 - 05:44 PM

thanks, nice to have a good place to look up the part numbers/the actual yammy number that i need.

Problem is that individual part is still $80. being a poor student, i'm still looking to see if i can find one off a parted out carb???

Yeah, order just that part. The number is: 4FN-14546-00-00

There is a better site for looking up all your bike parts, it comes with all the OE numbers too. Check it out at: http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

The Bikebandit has an area where you can punch in the OE number at it will give you a price. Good luck. Hopefully, the engne didnt ingest it and destroy anything. Was it plastic?

• firezwr426

Posted January 17, 2005 - 05:53 PM

check out ebay.. I see wr's and yz's parted out all of the time :cry:

• Frostbite

Posted January 17, 2005 - 06:23 PM

I'd suggest getting a new one. It is a common problem and you may buy a used one that's ready to pop. Mine broke a while back and didn't seem to hurt the engine, but the pieces do get sucked through the cylinder and some cause damage. It's just the luck of the draw. I had my head off on the weekend and tested the valves for leakage and they were fine.

Here's a thread from a while back on the subject.

• Gadsen

Posted January 17, 2005 - 06:26 PM

check out ebay.. I see wr's and yz's parted out all of the time :cry:

Yes, in fact, I see every part of a specific bike on Ebay, everything but the frame. It makes me wonder if they are stealing bikes and selling all the other parts. There was one, it was a 2002 WR426F, every part except the frame. Complete engine too! I know it was stolen! If its just a few parts, chances are its OK, but you know the adds, same guy with everything listed, stem to swingarm and everything in between. Notice the frame isnt listed. Its becuase it has the VIN. He has cut that up with a torch.

• Gadsen

Posted January 17, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Problem is that individual part is still $80. being a poor student, i'm still looking to see if i can find one off a parted out carb???

Wow, sorry, I didnt realize it was that much.

• firezwr426

Posted January 18, 2005 - 12:00 AM

I see frames with clean vin#'s all of the time.. People just part these bikes out to make a buck... they are worth more to part out than to sell whole... and it works out great on all sides because the people selling them make their buck and then the people buying the parts get them a whole lot cheaper than they would paying full price at the local yamaha stealer.. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mousemeat

Posted January 18, 2005 - 03:01 AM

My mate told me that building a crf450 from OEM parts cost something like £25k

• jbrooks26

Posted January 18, 2005 - 05:04 AM

Yes, in fact, I see every part of a specific bike on Ebay, everything but the frame. It makes me wonder if they are stealing bikes and selling all the other parts. There was one, it was a 2002 WR426F, every part except the frame. Complete engine too! I know it was stolen! If its just a few parts, chances are its OK, but you know the adds, same guy with everything listed, stem to swingarm and everything in between. Notice the frame isnt listed. Its becuase it has the VIN. He has cut that up with a torch.

Just a quick note on this, the engine has a traceable number on it too! I had a 99 YZ400 stolen a year ago last December, have been watching e-bay and other classifieds since. Most people will give you the numbers if you ask and you can run them if you are interested. I have ran into a few that won't give out the numbers though, really hacks me off. The way I see it is if they won't give you the numbers then they know that the parts are hot. Sad thing is that the cops can't do anything about it because they are usually in a different state. Really burns me, but what can you do. Looks to me like the police are just there to fill out the paperwork.

Josh

• bdmmotard

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I'd suggest getting a new one. It is a common problem and you may buy a used one that's ready to pop. Mine broke a while back and didn't seem to hurt the engine, but the pieces do get sucked through the cylinder and some cause damage. It's just the luck of the draw. I had my head off on the weekend and tested the valves for leakage and they were fine.

Here's a thread from a while back on the subject.

thanks, i didn't realize it was that common. i guess i'll suck it up and buy the part new. I'd pick up a used complete carb on ebay, but since they are a nice hop up for the drz-s, usually they go for decent money. Thanks all!

• Jackazz

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:31 AM

From http://yamaha.dgy.com/parts.aspx

4FN-14546-00-00
VALVE, NEEDLE
$64.01

& you probably want the seal while you're at it too...

4FN-14997-00-00
SEAL
$5.70

Good luck :cry:

• Frostbite

Posted January 18, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Make sure you don't put the seal in backwards or it is inneffective and the new plate could break prematurely. I heard of new plates only lasting a month and possible cause was the rubber ring installed backwards.

• RichBaker

Posted January 18, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Try Sudco..... www.sudco.com

• Jackazz

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:45 AM

I looked at Sudco for the plate & the seal, & they wanted $100 for the plate & $15 for the seal. I thought it a bit odd, as everything else I've ever checked Sudco vs OEM Yamaha, Sudco was cheaper... :cry:

• bdmmotard

Posted January 18, 2005 - 03:34 PM

those are the best prices i found. unfortunately i just ordered it from my local shop, who i hope will score me a racer discount. in the future though, that place looks great.

i've already run the bike quite a bit while trying to diagnose the problem. do i still have to worry about the old piece in the valves?

btw the new and improved part number is 4fn-14546-01-00, apparently they've updated the valve.

From http://yamaha.dgy.com/parts.aspx

4FN-14546-00-00
VALVE, NEEDLE
$64.01

& you probably want the seal while you're at it too...

4FN-14997-00-00
SEAL
$5.70

Good luck :cry:

• Frostbite

Posted January 19, 2005 - 07:26 AM

i've already run the bike quite a bit while trying to diagnose the problem. do i still have to worry about the old piece in the valves?

I don't think. The piece would get sucked through instantly and the damage if any would be done on the spot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.