Chain Replacement Recommendations

7 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted January 17, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Anyone know if the stock chain on the 05 Wr's are any good? After a few hard miles the stocker is pretty stretched. Do I need to start worrying about replacing the stock chain? If so, what type, brand, etc.?

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 17, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Any of the top of the line O-Ring chains ( example: Regina ORN -114 links for stock gearing) ) is good for our bikes.:cry: Go with tool steel sprockets like Ironman.:cry:

• Seabass

Posted January 17, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Indy!

• RADRick

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Anyone know if the stock chain on the 05 Wr's are any good? After a few hard miles the stocker is pretty stretched. Do I need to start worrying about replacing the stock chain? If so, what type, brand, etc.?

Not really. Chain stretch is always at its worst when the chain is new. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't loose enough to saw through your swingarm.

RADRick
www.mcjournalist.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 17, 2005 - 11:37 PM

what's up with the stock chain on my 04 WR450? It doesn't even have a master link.

• Texas4play

Posted January 18, 2005 - 01:41 PM

what's up with the stock chain on my 04 WR450? It doesn't even have a master link.

It has one, just pressed on vs. clip on.

• Raistlin

Posted January 18, 2005 - 03:08 PM

it is an endless chain. They are stronger then the ones with the clip-on type of master link. Only problem with them is that you have to remove the swingarm to replace it with a new one. Most people cut the old one off and replace it with one that has a clip-on style master link :cry:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 18, 2005 - 07:13 PM

The stock chain is a DID and it is an "X" ring chain (just a fancier o-ring) and its continous. I did remove my link and replaced it with the clip type. You will see the copper ends on the crimped link. I've seen where some mention its a cheap chain, but it apprears to be quality and I know DID has a decent reputation for chains. All my other bikes have had the RK chain, usually the XSO. I went to buy a master link for this one and the shop said they didnt have one for it, if they tell you that, tell them its an RK XSO type, same exact link. Side plates, pin diameters vary in size.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.