? about 650R vs 650L

9 replies to this topic
  • PEZ8

Posted January 17, 2005 - 01:25 PM

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking at buying a dirtbike, and I'm kind of inbetween a CRF450R and a XR650R. I know they're not in the same class at all. I'm sort of leaning more towards the 650R, since it would be less maintenance and more reliable in the long run, and could be made street legal. Anyway, I didn't realize the 650R and 650L were so different! I thought just one had the street legal stuff on it. Then I started comparing them on Honda's website. The R has a bigger engine and it's liquid cooled. The L is 5cc smaller and air cooled. They have different carbs. Different sprockets. Different front and rear suspension. Etc. What's the better buy, the 650R or 650L? My purpose would be mostly dirt, with the option to make it a dualsport. How much would it cost to make the R street legal? Thanks for any replies!

• thumper447

Posted January 17, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Remember the 650r is thirty to thirty-five lbs more than the crf450 and the 650l is ten or fifteen more than that. You're looking at between $800-1500 to get the 650r legal, depending on which state you're in and how thrifty you are. :cry: THe 05 crf 450 is amazingly fast and inspires confidence, but technology comes w/ a hefty price tag!! THe main thing is that you get one and go ride!! :cry:

• RingKingPin

Posted January 17, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Remember the 650r is thirty to thirty-five lbs more than the crf450 and the 650l is ten or fifteen more than that. You're looking at between $800-1500 to get the 650r legal, depending on which state you're in and how thrifty you are. :cry: THe 05 crf 450 is amazingly fast and inspires confidence, but technology comes w/ a hefty price tag!! THe main thing is that you get one and go ride!! :cry:

Well, you must not be very thrifty! :cry: Seriously, if your in a state which is pretty relaxed, you can get legal for a LOT less than that. I run a PIAA 7" refelctor which I bought off of ebay for 50 bucks (120w!) Homemade aluminum bracket, homemade LED taillight, no turn sigs (Indiana doesn't require them) and a rewound stator and a horn. That is about 300 bucks.

• Squash

Posted January 17, 2005 - 01:50 PM

The differences are pretty clear.

The 650R is a dirtbike. It holds a small amount of oil, and you have to change it very frequently. It makes more power. It doesn't hold a passenger. it has a narrow seat that isn't particularly comfortable. It requires more maintanance. it is water cooled, and runs hotter.

The 650L is a dual-purpose bike, which means its a streetbike. You get blinkers and a speedo and passenger pegs and 3000 miles between oil changes. You get a cooler running engine that makes less power and gets better mileage. You also get to carry around a battery.

If you are serious about off-roading and less so about on-road, the 650R + street kit + uncork kit is hard to beat. if you are going to ride a lot on the street (or more than 20 minutes in one session), you would find the 650L to be better suited.

Personally I have the 650R + strret kit + uncork kit. People in the tougher trails are amazed to see a license plate. I also have a GSXR1000, so I don't ride the XR on the street all that much (could hundred miles a year tops)

Josh

• TXBRP

Posted January 17, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I went the XR650R route. Compared to the L it is lighter, stronger and has a better suspension. Water cooled yeah, but there ain't nothing wrong with air cooled either and air cooled won't spring a leak in a minor spill and leave you stranded.

I'll have about $500 in making it street legal ( I bought a BD kit). One thing on the top of my list is to get better seat foam. Riding it on the street where you never stand up or change positions much absolutely kills my tailbone. The one thing I have been surprised about is gas mileage. It sucks. I get somewhere between 25 and 30 mpg just farting around on the street. If you are going to do any longer trips a new gas tank will be on the top of your list.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PEZ8

Posted January 17, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I also have a GSXR1000, so I don't ride the XR on the street all that much (could hundred miles a year tops)

Josh

Thanks for the responses, I'm leaning more towards strictly dirt w/ the option of a street conversion down the road. I can relate to Josh, I have a Yamaha R1 streetbike, so I really wouldn't ride the XR on the road that much. Thanks for all the responses!

• smashinz2002

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:59 PM

Yeah I agree, if you're going to do mostly off-road, with the option of dual-sporting it, then get the 650R. I have one with the Bajadesigns dual sport kit on it, works great.

• big t

Posted January 17, 2005 - 11:42 PM

If your doing mostly dirt definately go with the 650r.

• RingKingPin

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:18 PM

If you have an R1 you'll want the 650r. :cry:

• resslera

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:13 PM

I originally was looking at the 650L and thought that would be the bike. Not wanting another older bike (previously had DR350SE) that was more street I got the 650R, had baja kit installed, and uncorked it. Power is awesome but you soon realize that it wasn't meant for the street. As mentioned before, the seat can get old at high speed. The seat doesn't absorb much of the vibration and you feel it in your ass big time! Yep, the gas mileage is bad news when uncorked. I hit reserve at 40 miles when riding on the street the other day. Not too much of a concern for me because work isn't that far.

Still an absolute blast and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.