XR650L Stock Pipe

4 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted January 16, 2005 - 11:04 PM

I was thinking of just keeping the stock pipe. I sure hate looking at the black pipe though. Has anyone tried yanking the stock pipe off (muffler and headpipe) and getting it chrome plated? Any issues with that? I was thinking that it might make my bike look a little better without having to shell out the dough for a new pipe. Any thoughts??

• babbs

Posted January 17, 2005 - 05:03 AM

I still have the stock pipe, and probably will for a while. So still having the stock pipe, I cannot rip on them too much.......But this reminds me of something one of my drill seargents used to say to us during basic training.......

"If you have a turd, you can polish it, paint it, or camoflage it all you want, but it is still a turd."

Great memories, those Drill Seargents influence their joes for a lot longer than an 8 week basic training.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FLTarded

Posted January 17, 2005 - 05:26 AM

You may end up paying more to get that done than it would to get a new exhaust system. By removing it, you will improve performance, look better, and shed alot of unwanted weight. :cry:

• TimBrp

Posted January 17, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I have the 650R and I am keeping my stock canister also. It produces the best midrange hit. I'm having my header pipes and exhaust ceramic coated for $80. Cheap, I think considering it looks like a chrome finish. It will also not burn your leg as much, keep the engine temp down, increase hp, and look trick. Consider that as an option if the cost of a new pipe strays you from them. :cry:

• truck6driver

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:19 AM

I have seen ceramic coated head pipes on several bikes. Looks nice with half the cost of a new system.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.