Overflow Res.

6 replies to this topic
  • Dannajoe

Posted August 01, 2001 - 05:17 AM

Ihave noticed several WRs owners have removed the coolant overflow tank under the rear fender. Is this a weight saving issue,does the bike have to have it? Alot of eng. has gone into these bikes,I assume its there for recovery. Shed some light gents.

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 01, 2001 - 05:37 AM

Weight savings.

The YZ does not have one due to (normally) higher speeds. With the WR and plonking speeds, much more apt to overheat and relieve to the recovery tank.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• mcarp

Posted August 01, 2001 - 08:30 AM

I've had mine off for a year, ride both eastern trails and some MX. Regardless, the bike gets hot. I've added some Waterwetter and never overheated or puked coolant out of the hose (except the first time it will, then it will stop). I check the coolant level every few rides and it's never dropped. YMMV in either long rides (over 75 miles) or extremely hot weather. I ride generally below 90 degrees and less than 50 miles w/ breaks.

Hope that helps, you can always put it back on if you tend to overheat the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Heywood

Posted August 01, 2001 - 02:25 PM

I took mine off to make the bike easier to service. When I was playing with the carb and shock, it was a lot easier to get the subframe on and off with out those cooling hoses running all over the place.

Never had a problem with overheating, so I left it off.

• wayneoXCF

Posted August 03, 2001 - 09:50 PM

Where did you clip the hose? Did you guys just plug it, or take it off completely?

------------------
2001 WR426F - No grey wire, no lid, YZ Stop/Tank/seat, UNI, and no place to ride....

• Bill

Posted August 03, 2001 - 10:24 AM

With some hose and a petcock. It would make a nice little fuel storage pod. Especially for the YZ tank guys.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• WR_Jason

Posted August 03, 2001 - 12:46 PM

I over heated once, took me a while to notice it (after stopping) I lost a bit of coolant, even with the tank. Its a good thing I had my camel back on and the res tank. Out on the trail I think its worth the 6 oz or so of empty weight.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.