Need help on a clutch/tranny problem

9 replies to this topic
  • Shorte01

Posted January 16, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Just got back from a day of riding which was cut short because I lost power to the front sprocket. It felt like I was able to get the bike in gear but then there would be no response when releasing the clutch. It didn't matter what gear it was in or whether I was using the clutch or not, the bike would not move. The rear wheel would freely spin with it in gear too, and I noticed the same hot smell that I've noticed around trucks that had been slipping the clutch quite a bit. The ground was extremely muddy and caked all over the bike, making it very difficult to even get it to roll, so getting it back to the truck was quite a chore. I'm hoping its a minor problem with an easy fix, but I've got a feeling in my gut that it just won't work out that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch.

The Bike:
2004 YZ450f
Maybe 15-20 hours
All factory for now, gotta pay off the bike before I add to it
Thanks again

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 16, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Deep mud + burning smell + no motion, check the clutch first, you might have cooked it. Think back and see if you can remember slipping it a lot.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 16, 2005 - 06:16 PM

Also if the clutch is buggered dont forget to clean your frame filter when you change the oil, it has happened to someone once before and they blew the motor with all the clutch fibre blocking the oil flow.

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2005 - 06:21 PM

I agree with both the above posts. A smoked clutch could clog the oil filter and force into bypass, filling the frame with crud. Check it out.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 16, 2005 - 07:16 PM

I agree with both the above posts. A smoked clutch could clog the oil filter and force into bypass, filling the frame with crud. Check it out.

Excellent point about the filters, but one correction. The actual filter is after the frame. The order is frame-->frame-screen-->oil-filter. Oil pumped into the frame from the case is unfiltered. Great idea to check them!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shorte01

Posted January 16, 2005 - 08:16 PM

What clutch kit would you recommend to replace my cooked one? And any tips on the process? Can change one in a car, but never tried on a bike, not really excited to screw it up.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 16, 2005 - 09:23 PM

i'd pull the right side cover and have a look before i ordered anything.

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Excellent point about the filters, but one correction. The actual filter is after the frame. The order is frame-->frame-screen-->oil-filter. Oil pumped into the frame from the case is unfiltered. Great idea to check them!

Amazing how easy it is in this wet sump world of ours to overlook a thing like that, isn't it? :cry:

He's right, the only thing between the sump and the frame is the sump screen, which isn't really supposed to be a filter, just a strainer.

• Shorte01

Posted January 16, 2005 - 11:17 PM

Any tell-tales signs of what I should be looking for? Sorry, just never ventured into a motorcycle clutch before. Thanks

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 17, 2005 - 01:27 AM

By the sounds of it something should jump out and bash you on the head, so to speak.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.