Shake rattle and roll ...

14 replies to this topic
  • Eliems

Posted January 15, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Trying to identify a vibration/noise that shows up when the motor lugs down in to low rpm. Sounds like plastic or headlight slapping or something front top quarter of the bike. I don't think it is the motor. (250 miles on the 04/wr450 now), but the first owner ran it on rough roads to work and something may be loose I just can't find it.

Have you experienced similar?

Thanks.

• Hamish

Posted January 15, 2005 - 03:02 PM

check the chain slider on the front of the swingarm. Earlier models had a problem with this, and I'm not sure if Yamaha ever fixed it.
The fix is to remove the slider and use sikaflex to glue a thin piece of rubber between the swingarm and the chain slider.

• Eliems

Posted January 16, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Doesn't seem to be that, are there any other sources of rattle/vibration likely to be the problem?

• oldbones

Posted January 16, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Try the fix before you discount it. The location of the noise is hard to pinpoint, but this fix worked for me.

• Hamish

Posted January 16, 2005 - 09:57 PM

you need to to that mod anyway, so it wont hurt to do it now and see if it cures the problem

• RichBaker

Posted January 17, 2005 - 10:27 AM

Chain slider..........practically guaranteed!

• barefootbob

Posted January 17, 2005 - 10:43 AM

on my 04 wr450 if my chain is just a little loose I get a rattle when lugging.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted January 17, 2005 - 02:58 PM

I will throw out another vote for the chain slide. My wr 400 had a tm desings slide and it rattled very loudly.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 17, 2005 - 03:59 PM

They all rattle unless you put 1/2" of RV silicone under it and bond it to the swingarm! :cry: No more sliding but the chain buffer never slaps and wears out your swingarm! :cry:

• Eliems

Posted January 18, 2005 - 12:54 PM

OK, I have applied the rubber/silicone solution (sounds like a breast enhancement!) and the chain is 1 1/2 inch play so when the rain stops we shall see what the results are. The slider was certainly loosely laid upn the swingarm.

By the way what does "No more sliding" mean?

Thanks guys, this forum is great for us newbies!

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 18, 2005 - 01:26 PM

OK, I have applied the rubber/silicone solution (sounds like a breast enhancement!) and the chain is 1 1/2 inch play so when the rain stops we shall see what the results are. The slider was certainly loosely laid upn the swingarm.

By the way what does "No more sliding" mean?

Thanks guys, this forum is great for us newbies!

And thank you for not posting a stupid noob question! :cry: :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 18, 2005 - 02:36 PM

What I meant with "no more sliding" is that the chain slider will not wear out the swingarm. The swingarm wear is not due only to vertical slap but combine it with a sliding motion relative to the swingarm and you can eat through the swingarm in one season! The RV Silicone will chushion all the slap and protect your swingarm! My last silicone job outlasted the chain buffer! Now if only TM Designs guys can come up with a way of keeping the chain from eating the subframe with a side guide designed as part of the chain buffer that would be awesome! :cry:

• Eliems

Posted January 18, 2005 - 04:26 PM

I have got to stop doubting you guys! I didn't think the rattling was coming from the slider but I was wrong! I just took her out (in the rain) and ... no more rattle! Just the roar of 55 horses!

Amazing bike!

Thanks again!

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 18, 2005 - 04:52 PM

I have got to stop doubting you guys! I didn't think the rattling was coming from the slider but I was wrong! I just took her out (in the rain) and ... no more rattle! Just the roar of 55 horses!

Amazing bike!

Thanks again!

How did you end up with more horses in the barn? :cry:
Don't doubt the power of the TT knowledge base! :cry:
This forum has grown up around the YZ/WR400's! :cry:

• Hamish

Posted January 19, 2005 - 02:52 AM

just like indy said. If there is something that you are going to do to you 4XX, there is a 99% change that a dozen people have done it, and a few would have stuffed it up and learnt from their experience. So the moral of the story is ask the question and someone will almost always guide you down the right path. My only advise is to take all advise with a grain of salt. Not everything said on here is true, but if a few people say the same thing there is a good chanceit's right.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.