Thief Protection...

13 replies to this topic
  • Eliems

Posted January 15, 2005 - 11:52 AM

I'll never forget what it felt like to go down to the UG Parking and find my 650 Triumph Bonnevile had been stolen. Not nice!

Now I have recently picked up an 04 WR 250 for my son and an 04 WR 450 for my self ... what have you all done to protect your bikes from thieves?

Anybody hidden a kill switch?

Any locks that frame together the two bikes and are stonger than a bolt-cutter?

Suggestions?

By the way, local insurance wants $900/year per bike for fire and theft! (BC)

• Master Wong

Posted January 15, 2005 - 12:10 PM

i put padlocks in the brake rotors front and back and put it within reach of my chow when i go camping

• brsmith

Posted January 15, 2005 - 12:14 PM

I lock the rotor's, and buy full coverage insurance from State Farm. With a $500. ded. it is about $150. per year for my 05 wr450f...I have had two bike's riped off...not a nice feeling when you go to the garage, and there gone...Smitty

• cruise

Posted January 15, 2005 - 02:43 PM

I put locks on the back sprockets and a kryptonite through the frame and to a poll in my shed. never chain through weel to anything as a thief will pull the weel off and still take the bike it happend to my friend. And my dog sleeps in my shed he is a pitbull x english mastive.

• Eliems

Posted January 15, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Is that him in the avatar?

• drewpeacock

Posted January 15, 2005 - 03:52 PM

Looks more like my wife's mother!

• mayday

Posted January 15, 2005 - 04:37 PM

I use a 40 cal smith and :cry: wesson :cry: :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 15, 2005 - 05:39 PM

I use a 40 cal smith and :cry: wesson :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nice caliber. I love the 40S&W. I have 3 of them, an H&K USP Glock 27 and my main carry is a Sig Sauer P229 in .40 with Trijicons sights. Of course, having a sticker on my windows next to the doors and on the garage that say: "Warning, dog eats everything owner shoots" helps too. A tight security system, a completely fenced in yard around the entire perimiter and good watchful neighbors! :cry:

• 5valve

Posted January 16, 2005 - 03:27 AM

personal arms are forbidden in Europe (except job related AK-47 :cry:), so I use 4 locks
front disc-lock, chain lock throught frame and around bike stand, chain lock around rear wheel and another fatty lock, that goes through unimaginably fat ring locknuted in the concrete wall
its never enough
first line of defense...keep quiet around your house, keep people uninformed of your actions

• RCannon

Posted January 16, 2005 - 06:15 AM

I think keeping people uninformed is a great idea. Most home robberies I hear of were usually never a random thing. Kids talking to kids who knows someone...

I run a decent sized chain through the frame. The chain ends up anchoring into a concrete anchor. I figure that the bad guy looking at it might go next door or down the street before he has to deal with my chain.

• Beef

Posted January 16, 2005 - 10:51 AM

"Warning, dog eats everything owner shoots"

That's awesome! Where did you get it? :cry: :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 16, 2005 - 11:04 AM

insurance is the only real protection. if some one is set on getting your bike they will get it no matter what.

• Eliems

Posted January 16, 2005 - 07:30 PM

I was looking through the selection of hardened locks and cables on-line ... looks like $200 later you get a low end chain and lock! Ouch!

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 16, 2005 - 08:06 PM

That's awesome! Where did you get it? :cry: :cry:

I got it from the local gun show. It was a table full of bumper stickers. It was either the RKBA or the SAF table. Its actually a bumper sticker, but in the sticker is what is made to look like a wooden sign and it says that. I cut the wooden sign part out. It looks like factory warning stickers. I dont own a dog, but I do own a few guns. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.