450 Cam Mod Shims ??

2 replies to this topic
  • Chills

Posted January 15, 2005 - 10:56 AM

Have any of you had to use 200 shims when doing this mod? Just wanted to know....

When I first measured the clearance, I calculated having to use 195 shims, but once I actually got everything COMPLETELY installed, the clearance is out of spec: Too LOOSE...

Its not by much but definately out of spec......

Any thoughts??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted January 15, 2005 - 11:23 AM

What size were your shims before the cam mod? Were the clearances in spec before you did the mod? I think most people find they need a .1 to .2 mm thicker shim if their valves were in spec before the mod. When I did mine, I went from 175's to 190's which is .15 mm thicker.

• Chills

Posted January 15, 2005 - 11:38 AM

One shim was 181, and the other was 186, My Initial check of the clearances were .358 and .330 respectively. So in doing the math, a 195 shim for both would get you within specs. But after installing the new shims, The clearance is .254 and .279 respectively. The shim that now measures .254 is slightly loose, but not loose enough to get the .279 in. And the shim with .279, is slightly loose also, but not loose enough to get the next guage in which is .305....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.