xr650r: what tools do you take along?

14 replies to this topic
  • Mokuleia

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:53 PM

I'm trying to put together a "small" take along tool kit. I can see one is not getting the rear wheel off this bike without an open end wrench (12mm?) to get at the chain length adjusters (as well as a 27mm). Do you even bother and just bring a can of fix a flat? Aside from the basic 8, 10, 12mm, screw driver tips etc.

Whats in your tool kit on a 100 mile day?

Thanks for your opinions:D

• DelTronXR

Posted January 14, 2005 - 09:23 PM

Don't forget the Camelpak with 70oz. of Bud Light:thumbsup:

• DelTronXR

Posted January 14, 2005 - 09:28 PM

Just kidding about that last post, but yeah, it sounds like you've got everything set up quite well. I would definitely vouch for the fix-a-flat. I've been in sticky situations with each tire at one point or another and it's NO FUN at all riding back on rim....I'm sure you're aware of that though. Definitely bring a 10mm for the bars and whatever size is necessary for your upper and lower clamps if they're not stock. Also, if you're not running the stock chain, bring along a spare masterlink as well. And of course if you're by yourself, a phone, a GPS unit, and a .44 Magnum.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 15, 2005 - 07:01 AM

I carry two rachet drives and a small breaker bar. I carry sockets for Carb Jets 6mm, Rear axle bolt 32mm?, spark plug and also the standards 8mm 10mm 12mm 14mm. A set of box open end metic wrenches 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm. 14mm, 17mm. Metric Hex keys all sizes needed by the bike. Screw driver with all the different bits in the handle. A small vice grip pliar, Wire snips, needle nose and standard pliars. Basicly I can dismantle my bike in the field. I can fit most of these tools in tool wrap made me Chase Harper, which has a lifetime warrantee ( I already wore one out and they replaced it). I put the wrap and other tools in a Chase Harper rear fender bag (also has lifetime warrantee). I use a Chase Harper number plate bag that fits over the top of the headlight (yes Lifetime warrantee). I put maps, spare jets, compass, odds and ends in it. And a front fender bag which carries my spare tube and four tire irons. Plastic zip ties, bungee cords.

Im ready for pretty much anything. All this adds another 10lbs to the bike but it's worth it.

• udhawg

Posted January 15, 2005 - 08:24 AM

I also carry 4 or 5 of the BIG long zip ties like the ones used for flex duct so if I have a flat I can't fix I zip tie the tire to the rim and ride it back to the truck. This will help in not ruining your rim while riding on a flat.

• Miker

Posted January 15, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Don't forget dental floss :cry:

• Mokuleia

Posted January 15, 2005 - 09:54 AM

Great tips guys, thank you. Keep 'em coming!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1biglung

Posted January 15, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Tow Strap

Just in case

• MXbob60

Posted January 15, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Leatherman, safety wire, small roll of duct tape... MONEY, about $30 in small bills.

• Haymaker

Posted January 15, 2005 - 10:59 AM

You have to bring tools on an xr650r? :-)

I have a wrench that I welded together to fit both front and rear axles. The front axle wrench will also fit the carb drain to get at jets (fat chance with the flat ground up here) and to drain water from a submarine expedition.

My tire kit is a bunch of patches from 1" to 4" square, glue that is checked a few times a season for freshness. astem remover, spare nipple caps and valve, and a valve remover tool. I also carry the stem nuts to hold the tube in place and make things easier. Inflation is done by a CO2 inflator that also has a pump.

8,10, and 12 mm wrenches and sockets.

4" Vise Grips.

Gerber multitool

Zipties of several sizes.

4' of mechanics wire, duct tape, and matches. All contained in or wound around a film container.

Roll of black tape.

10 heavy blue paper shop towels and a couple pairs of blue medical gloves. Either for emergency or mechanicing. It's much cleaner on the bearings and seals to change a tire with the hub laying on a towel, and much eaiser on the 30 dollar riding gloves when you can wear the medical ones!

A basic first aid kit.

Batteries for the GPS and a compass.

Tires are my biggest worry. The XR is really that bulletproof for me!

• ODSC1

Posted January 15, 2005 - 12:05 PM

Here's my list:

8" Motion Pro Enduro Pro tire irons
6 way spoke wrench
multi-bit screw driver
6" needle nose Vice Grips
combination wrenches, 8,10, 12 mm
6" adjustable wrench
folding metric allen key set
spark plug tool
T-handle wrench with 8,10,12 mm sockets
axle nut wrench 27mm X 17mm
valve stem remover
bicycle air pump
low pressure tire gauge
tow strap
small flashlight
Swiss Army knife

hose clamp
electrical tape
patch kit
epoxy putty
spark plug
small piece Velcro
6" pc heat shrink tubing
master link to fit chain
safety wire
safety pins
film container with a few nuts and bolts

On multi-day rides I'll include a small can of WD40.

Other items I usually bring either in my jacket or hydration pack include;

syphon hose
lense cleaner and tissue
imitation Leatherman tool

I use a Chase Harper fanny pack, http://www.chaseharp...s/FannyPacs.htm .Mine is probably about 20 years old. It comes with a lifetime warranty. Inside the pack I use an MSR Toolwrap, http://www.msracing....B2?opendocument to keep the tools together.

• 6fiddy

Posted January 18, 2005 - 12:48 PM

i just take toilet paper.... :cry:

• Weirdo

Posted January 19, 2005 - 02:29 PM

Any pics of these setups all packed ready to go? Just wondering how all these things fit in. :cry:

• SoCalDirtDevil

Posted January 19, 2005 - 04:49 PM

i just take toilet paper.... :cry:

I usually only take toilet paper too!

Well almost. I also have water in my camelbak, a cell phone, compass, a pocket knife, small first aid kit, sunscreen, compact survival blanket, and a map of ocotillo where I ride.

So far, I haven't needed any tools riding the 650 even on 100 mile loops. I leave the tools at the truck and ride with friends for the best security!!!

As a last resort there is a tall metal post in the Ocotillo desert with a big red button on it. The sign is written in both Spanish and English and simply states that you cannot walk to safety. You will die. Press the button for assistance. I suspect the Border Patrol would show up shortly!!! :cry:

• river251

Posted January 02, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Posted this elsewhere but thought I'd hit this tool thread too. This is a very nice little tool kit.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.