IMS 4.0 Gal tank for WR426 - good???

2 replies to this topic
  • SimiWR426

Posted January 14, 2005 - 07:46 PM

Does anybody have the 4.0Gal IMS tank on their YZF/WR426??? If so, how does it feel for racing? i can't find a picture of it anywhere. What's the range? Does the width feel OK? Are there indented areas for the knees, or is it similair in shape to the stock 3.2Gal WR tank? Do you have to get the YZF seat or new shrouds? Is the YZF seat more, or less comfortable for long trail riding? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Glenn
[color=#006699]www.SoCalMC.com[/color]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 14, 2005 - 11:49 PM

Glenn, The 4 gallon IMS tank is a nice one. It uses the WR seat and shrouds, it is bulky but you can still have fun on it. Milage, all depends how fast you're going, I've managed to get up to 52MPG, if you had to you could get 200 miles out of a tank riding at a moderate pace. Racing can cut your milage almost in half. What events do you plan on riding? I'm just curious... The tank is nice for racing but I've found that almost every event I participated in has pits much less than 100 miles apart from each other, the 3 gallon tanks are a little nicer in my opinion.. But, if you have to go 200 miles get the 4 gallon..

Here's a pic of my old bike with the 4 gallon IMS...

http://img.photobuck.../pitmileage.jpg

• SimiWR426

Posted January 15, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Glenn, The 4 gallon IMS tank is a nice one. It uses the WR seat and shrouds, it is bulky but you can still have fun on it. Milage, all depends how fast you're going, I've managed to get up to 52MPG, if you had to you could get 200 miles out of a tank riding at a moderate pace. Racing can cut your milage almost in half. What events do you plan on riding? I'm just curious... The tank is nice for racing but I've found that almost every event I participated in has pits much less than 100 miles apart from each other, the 3 gallon tanks are a little nicer in my opinion.. But, if you have to go 200 miles get the 4 gallon..

Here's a pic of my old bike with the 4 gallon IMS...

http://img.photobuck.../pitmileage.jpg

Dan, thanks a bunch. I want the 4Gal for long rides. I'm getting more and more into GPS'ing on my bike, and have yearned to do some long rides, with a distinct destination or two. As my recent racing experiences in D-37 have shown, that thing can suck the gas down FAST under hard riding, as you describe. I was curious if I left it on there for races, how it would feel. Thanks for the info. Also, since you appear to be in my area (SVC sticker in picture), who does your suspension work? That sticker on your fork doesn't look like ESP.

-Glenn

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.