Primer on 650L??

10 replies to this topic
  • Xr650LMartin

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:04 AM

Hi all!! I have a 2000 650L and there is a primer pump near the tank petcock!! Is this a stock thing or was it placed there by previous owner?? By the way..the thing works great!! Started it today, first time since october..3 primer shots..full choke..and as soon as I touched the magic button it started!! I love it!! It's -15 celsius here...thats what I call a cold start...Brrrrrr!!! :cry:

• sportbiker929

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:15 AM

The primer is not a stock item on a US model.

• Winter_Hawk

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:15 AM

I don't have one...

• babbs

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:19 AM

My understanding is that fuel flows into the bowl from the tank, the bowl acts as a reservoir until the fuel is taken from bowl. As the fuel is taken from the bowl, it lowers the float and allows more fuel in. So wouldn't a primer just fill the bowl, and therefore have no relation to the carb. I have never heard of a bowl needing to be primed.

Maybe that is just in car carbs? I have never heard of a primer bulb on a car or a motorcycle.

Babbs

• Xr650LMartin

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:28 AM

I think the way my thing works it sprays some fuel directly in the intake of the carb so the engine gets gas faster. The primer forces gas in the bowl, only way out is the jets. Anyway..I tried startin it with and without primer shots and it starts right away with primer..whitout its a few engine revs longer!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hi all!! I have a 2000 650L and there is a primer pump near the tank petcock!! Is this a stock thing or was it placed there by previous owner?? By the way..the thing works great!! Started it today, first time since october..3 primer shots..full choke..and as soon as I touched the magic button it started!! I love it!! It's -15 celsius here...thats what I call a cold start...Brrrrrr!!! :cry:

Sure that's the stock Keihin carb on there? Maybe it's an Edelbrock, FCR or Mikuni?

• XR Dude

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:30 PM

Could be an aftermarket primer with a hose that runs directly into the intake of the carburator from the pumper. Something like the snowmobilers use. They do work very well as long as you don't give too much and flood them.

• Xr650LMartin

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:33 AM

I finally took pics of how is installed the primer on my 650L!!
It works really well for cold starts!!!

http://tinypic.com/4rcoec

http://tinypic.com/4rcoki

• ghoti

Posted April 28, 2005 - 08:39 AM

You need to hook that dealy up to the throttle linkage on the other side. Who needs a $500.00 Edlebrock :naughty:

• XR Dude

Posted April 28, 2005 - 10:06 AM

That looks like an aftermarket primer like I noted earlier, real common for snowmachines, I see them all over the place here in North Dakota.

• KLX365

Posted April 29, 2005 - 05:55 AM

Yes that is an aftermarket primer, I put one on my 650L about five years ago and it works great in cold weather.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.