YZ to WR cam difficutly rating.

2 replies to this topic
  • jdubsooner

Posted January 14, 2005 - 09:49 AM

For someone that can do regular maintance on a bike but doesn't haven't an honorary degree from the motorcycle institute; on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest, how difficult is that swap?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Raistlin

Posted January 14, 2005 - 11:16 AM

Swapping the cam is fairly simple. You will need a GOOD torque wrench though. One that will accuratly go down to I believe 89 INCH POUNDS.. Not foot pounds to retourque the cam caps. This is very critical!!! As far as the rest of the job just follow the manual. You must find top dead center before you remove the cam. In my experience you have to loosen and romove both cam caps to get the chain off of the exhuast cam. I would suggest that you mark both of the cams and the timing chain where it lines up on the cam gear before you remove anything. This way you will know that you did not accidentaly jump a tooth on the intake cam. All this, of coarse, after you have found top dead center. Just read the manual. If you are not comfortable with it at that point talk to a friend (that is familiar with the process) or mechanic about having it done. One other thing, if you do try this, there are some clips under the caps that line up the cams. be very carefull, when you pull of the caps, that you do not drop one of these clips down into the engine............. Good luck!! :cry: :cry:

• jdubsooner

Posted January 18, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for the advise. Not sure when I'm doing it but it will be soon. Lot's of good info in here on the cam swap.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.