• Jetsprint2

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:13 AM

I would like to know what chain lube seems to work best, any ideas?:cry:

• yzf205

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:15 AM

Bel Ray super clean

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard drys very nearly greaseless, and non-sticky in about an hour. Stays on and picks up very little dirt. It also washes off well with Simple Green, which works out well for my O-ring chains.

• SLO_Rider

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:39 AM

WD-40

Keeps o-rings conditioned, doesn't fling off and it doesn't attract dirt.... plus its cheep! :cry:

• alfie

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:48 AM

Silkolene semi synth, its good stuff to.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:55 AM

I just bought a gold DID 520 ERT chain (no O-rings) and have cut it to length for installation. Is there any special lube for a first time break in? This chain looks very impressive all gold and I want to care for it the best I can.:cry: The WD-40 for lube sounds good but does anyone else endorse using this as chain lube?:cry: I already know that Maxima Chain wax is complete junk.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:21 PM

Wrooster (mostly on the YZ250F forum) swears by WD40, as do several others, and he puts a lot of miles on his bikes. Bear in mind, he's not really lubing the chain, nor am I, since that lubricant is sealed in. It's mostly for rust protection.

As I already said, I use Maxima's Synthetic, which is NOT the same product as the chain wax, and have had great luck with it. I use it because I think it keeps the outer rollers lubed, and helps protect the O-rings better. See my earlier post.

Be sure that the pins of the master link are properly lubed as you assemble it. :cry:

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:28 PM

Wrooster (mostly on the YZ250F forum) swears by WD40, as do several others, and he puts a lot of miles on his bikes. Bear in mind, he's not really lubing the chain, nor am I, since that lubricant is sealed in. It's mostly for rust protection.

As I already said, I use Maxima's Synthetic, which is NOT the same product as the chain wax, and have had great luck with it. I use it because I think it keeps the outer rollers lubed, and helps protect the O-rings better. See my earlier post.

Be sure that the pins of the master link are properly lubed as you assemble it. :cry:

Thank you for the advice Gray Racer. I just came back from the Cycle shop and purchased a can of Klotz Clean Chain Lube. I figured I would be different and give this a try. I will be sure to lube the master link, you lube it with a WD-40 or some chain lube right? After I use the Klotz for a while I will thread you guys an update.:cry:

• slappie

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:47 PM

JetSprint.

I think that Grayracer meant that when you are initially installing the master link on the chain, there will be no lube on the rollers or contained by the O-rings. What you'll want to do is assemble one side of the master link by putting the O-rings on the pins and then smear grease all over the rings and pins. Then install the master link on the chain, put the O-rings on the other side and smear grease all over those rings as well.

Put the side plate on and use some sort of tool (vice grip welding clamps that are shaped like a big C work great) to compress the link so you can get the clip on.

Make sure that the closed end of the clip is facing the direction that the chain rotates (so if something like a rock hits the clip, it will hit the closed end of the clip and not knock the clip off) and you are set.

Have fun!

• sanpedro426

Posted January 14, 2005 - 03:23 PM

WD-40 will ruin the O rings in a shot amount of time to the best of my expirience, unless the o rings are made of something different than my air tools. I used WD-40 once to lube my airtools and had to replace them because WD-40 has solvent in it , which evaporates eventually BUT it does the damage to rubber first. It does to O Rings what diesel fuel does to rubber.:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chills

Posted January 14, 2005 - 04:30 PM

Motorex Chain Lube and Chain Cleaner, works great, stays on, doesnt fly off, doesnt attract dirt, everything stays lubed, and its great for my O-Ring chain...

• jonha

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:35 AM

Maxima chain wax is junk? Please tell me why, I have been using for a couple of years and it seems to do the job. I could be wrong.... again.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:53 AM

Maxima chain wax is junk? Please tell me why, I have been using for a couple of years and it seems to do the job. I could be wrong.... again.

I have never had any luck with it, looks messy on chain and dries everything out as well. I might be doing something wrong but find the newer cleaner chain lubes better. I especially like Klotz clain clean lube. :cry:

• r1superstar

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:54 AM

I would like to know what chain lube seems to work best, any ideas?:cry:

WD-40...Both on my streetbikes and dirt bikes. I have been using it for 20 years.
:cry:

• r1superstar

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:56 AM

WD-40 will ruin the O rings in a shot amount of time to the best of my expirience, unless the o rings are made of something different than my air tools. I used WD-40 once to lube my airtools and had to replace them because WD-40 has solvent in it , which evaporates eventually BUT it does the damage to rubber first. It does to O Rings what diesel fuel does to rubber.:cry:

Hmmmmm. Never a problem here.

• flyinguitars

Posted January 18, 2005 - 10:24 AM

WD-40 on my o-ring. I also used it on my non o ring chains. I usually douse the chain with it after I wash the bike...then again on riding day after a few laps. For about 1.50 a can I can afford to spray it liberally

• yzwiley

Posted January 18, 2005 - 10:41 AM

Hmmmmm. Never a problem here.

I had problems with WD40 on o-ring chains but didn't realize it until I switched to a moto chain lube.

I went through chains pretty quickly and always figured it was from the amount of hours I put on the bikes. I read about the solvent in the WD40 affecting the o-rings so I tried a real chain lube then. Shortly there after I found my chains to last a bit longer with the chain lube vs. the WD.

Currently I use Champion Oil's lithium chain lube.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 18, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Motul Off-Road Chain Lube. Its the shit. Works great.

• B86_Racer

Posted January 18, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I have always used WD-40 (and the occasional "real" chain lube when I win it or something like that) and have never had any problems...

• r1superstar

Posted January 18, 2005 - 05:57 PM

I had problems with WD40 on o-ring chains but didn't realize it until I switched to a moto chain lube.

I went through chains pretty quickly and always figured it was from the amount of hours I put on the bikes. I read about the solvent in the WD40 affecting the o-rings so I tried a real chain lube then. Shortly there after I found my chains to last a bit longer with the chain lube vs. the WD.

Currently I use Champion Oil's lithium chain lube.

I guess everyone's perspective is different. My o-ring chains last as long as those of my friends that use the exspensive stuff. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.