Rain riding question?

6 replies to this topic
  • truck6driver

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:05 AM

I have a 94' XR650L. I have recently been having problems while riding in the rain with water intrusion in the air box. I have done many creek crossings with up to 2 feet of water and the box stays dry. However if I ride in the rain with a good steady rain I get water in the box, that causes an engine sputter at cruising throttle. If I am in the gas it does not effect it. I pulled the side cover to find the box wet. This does not happen when the roads are dry. I am running a K&N filter and the box is de-snorkled. Has anyone had this problem and is there a correction?:cry:

Ray H.

• Dual_Dog

Posted January 14, 2005 - 09:37 AM

I have a 94' XR650L. I have recently been having problems while riding in the rain with water intrusion in the air box. However if I ride in the rain with a good steady rain I get water in the box, that causes an engine sputter at cruising throttle. Has anyone had this problem and is there a correction?:cry: Ray H.

Have you tried installing an Outerwears cover on your K&N? Air saturated with moisture will be a problem for these filters unless they are better protected, either with a filter cover or a cover over the airbox opening.

I've heard of folks spraying their Outerwear filter covers with silicone and wiping the excess off to help keep water from passing through and into their filters. :cry: Sounds like a good plan if you know you'll be in the rain. Good luck.

• truck6driver

Posted January 14, 2005 - 12:01 PM

Sounds like an idea. I just cannot figure out why after all these years it started doing it.
Ray

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • michaeln

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:07 PM

My XR650L with UNI filter and desnorkeled doesn't get any water in the airbox, and I have ridden in the rain (commuting) every day for the past three weeks. It has rained most of those days, no problem at all.

• jcoyne97222

Posted January 15, 2005 - 07:47 AM

On my 2003R the back of the airbox is in the rear wheel area and extends the fender. Make sure that you don't have a hole worn through.
JC

• truck6driver

Posted January 15, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I have ridden in the rain all the time during the warmer months. This is the first time this has ever happened. I do not see any holes or openings but the top of the box. There was alot of water running down the tank under the seat. I am wondering if that is where the water was entering the box? I guess I am the only one that has had this happened to.
Ray H.

• truck6driver

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Thanks you. I will look in to it this weekend.
Ray H.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.