Boat anchor skid plate.......

9 replies to this topic
  • Roll_it_on

Posted January 13, 2005 - 09:47 PM

I just got a Utah bolt on skid plate for my 650r and I'm reluctant to put the thing on since it weighs 5lbs on the bathroom scale :cry: What a bummer. That's all the pig needs is a new add on that makes it even harder to get it loaded up in the truck after a long day. I'm thinking the stocker ain't so bad after all. Just wondering what to do :cry:

• Mokuleia

Posted January 13, 2005 - 10:09 PM

You are not gonna feel that weight, particularly down that low. Thats a nice plate, it appears at least they sell it to several other companies that then put their own name on it. Pretty happy with mine.

• sportbiker929

Posted January 14, 2005 - 05:14 AM

send it back and order a Summers racing INC skid plate. Just got mine and is it light. In fact I think it floats.www.srcinc.net

• allan68

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:23 PM

On a bike this size, and down that low you will never feel the weight gain.

I think half of this weight savings craze and hp gaining craze is nothing more than marketing from aftermarket companies.
I think gasoline weighs in somewhere around 5 lbs. per gallon. The difference between an empty and full tank (especially with oversize tanks) would make much more difference than any minor weight savings gimmicks.:cry:

Al

• AHRMA17L

Posted January 14, 2005 - 03:18 PM

Toy plastic skidplate vs. the weight and protection of aluminum. I guess if you don't mind dented frame rails and less protection, send it back and stay with the plastic.

If it were me, at would give the plastic one to my neighbor's dog to chew on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roll_it_on

Posted January 14, 2005 - 05:40 PM

I think you guys are right about the wieght being down low and not feeling it. It certainly will protect much better. I was just supprised at how heavy it was with all of the brackets etc... I guess I will give the "toy" plastic one to the dog.....

• Roll_it_on

Posted January 14, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Howdy roll..
I've got the bigass skid plate, so far no prob..And it's had more than a few major hits..
Cow's still closed- Dang!
How are you and yours? See you soon, & ALOHA! ( LOL )
-Dan

Dan,

Good to hear from you! There is probably still snow at Cow :cry: I'm good and ready to go riding however since I'm tired of all the rain and no sun. We need to link up this season and go for a ride!

Jack

• dustdogg

Posted January 14, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I have the Utah skid plate on my WR and although it adds some weight, the added protection is well worth it. After using the plate on for some time, the battle scars tell me that it has done a good job. This thing has taken some good hits, but the frame is still perfect. I would recommend it to anyone. Of course you don't want to add more than you have to, especially on a BRP, but I dont think you will notice it. I say give it a shot, if you don't like it pull it off and sell it :cry:

• rippinroche

Posted January 14, 2005 - 07:25 PM

I have the good old Al bakers plate on my pig .It plows them rocks right out of the way. My friend has the Scott summers plate on his xr 650 and they are no good .Their is no protection for the water pump and hose. I'm sure your plate will work out fine.

• sportbiker929

Posted January 15, 2005 - 07:19 AM

I have the good old Al bakers plate on my pig .It plows them rocks right out of the way. My friend has the Scott summers plate on his xr 650 and they are no good .Their is no protection for the water pump and hose. I'm sure your plate will work out fine.

I would have to disagree with your opinion of the SRC skidplates being "no good". There is protection for the water pump, and the plate fits perfectly. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.