Valve clearance check schedule

Anybody?

I've been comparing the KTM's and the Yammi's, and it looks like the KTM's require a LOT more maintenence. Two oil screens and two oil filters, just for starters. Changing oil isn't really that big of deal, but apparently the valves need to be adjusted on the KTM's about every 15 hours, and you have to drain and remove the radiators to do it...I've heard the yammi's valves very rarely need adjusting, and it looks like checking them is MUCH easier.

3000 miles is about right. For joe average trail rider. Higher reving throttle junkies will need to check them every 1000 miles. I have done 3 adjustments to date on my 03 and the intakes wear faster for my low reving style. After 3 adjustments they recommend new valves before they break while the engine is running. you should easily get 10,000 miles out of the WR450 engine before doing a major overhaul.?

So basically, check the valves once or twice a year on the yammi.

On the KTM's...if you have to check 'em every 15 hours or so...thats like 3-4 rides! That's how often I change my OIL for $#!t sake! I like most of the features from what I saw on the KTM...but that is definately a MAJOR drawback!

Jockey,

Yeah, dealers are usually retarded. Thats why I was asking what the actual owners manual said. By the time you can tell that they are too tight, some damage has already been done.

I don't mind some routine maintenence, but for casual riding (like 2-3 rides per month, 7 months out of the year) I don't think you should have to do anything but change the oil throughout the year, and do all your maintence durring the winter!

I suppose if I lived in a nice warm climate like a lot of you southerners, I'd ride year round. ?

Beef,

Once you get the valve adjustment procedure down, have the right tools and a reasonable inventory of spare shim pads on hand, it only takes about 30 minutes using a careful/methodical pace. I am now in the habit of checking the valves prior to every major race or long distance trail ride which amounts to about once each month. I recently bought a 525 KTM and since they don't use the shim under bucket design like the Yamaha, valve lash maintenance on the KTM is much easier. No cams to remove and no shims to buy.

I'm sure there are some Dirt Rider subscribers in the bunch. Jan and Feb '05 issues had very good articles involving 4-stroke valvetrains. There wasn't much that pertained directly to WR450, but there was a lot that pertained to 450's in general. Some of the high points were checking valve clearance every 10 hours of operation, complete top-ends should be done between 50 and 60 hours and replacing the cam chain tensioner every 60-100 hours. I just recently installed the Yamaha tach/hour meter and I'll be using that to determine maintenance intervals from now on.

• 3 months later...
True no parts are needed to adjust the KTM design but they are well known to have the cam cover off and do this adjustment much more frequently then on the Blue bike. Hot cams sells a complete shim kit for blue bikes with 3 shims of every size for $60.00 . :naughty:

Indy is this the kit I would need for an '05 WR450? Thanks in advance!

All Makes/Models Part Number: HCSHIM02

Description:

Valve Shim Kit 9.48mm OD

Includes three 9.48mm OD valve shims of each size from 1.20 to 3.50mm in .05 increments. Fits TRX450R, CRF450R, KFX400, KLX400, DRZ400, LTZ400, WR/YZ400/426/450, and YFZ450.

Price: $89.95

I have 835 miles on my 05 WR450F I checked them the first time myself at 200 miles and they were good. I had them checked this week by Yamaha and they were still good. I will check them every 1,000 miles from this point out. I am an average trail rider. Better to check them to often then not enough as tight valves cost performance and can lead to burnt valves and major expense.

I'm sure there are some Dirt Rider subscribers in the bunch. Jan and Feb '05 issues had very good articles involving 4-stroke valvetrains. There wasn't much that pertained directly to WR450, but there was a lot that pertained to 450's in general. Some of the high points were checking valve clearance every 10 hours of operation, complete top-ends should be done between 50 and 60 hours and replacing the cam chain tensioner every 60-100 hours.

:D:naughty::D Sounds excessive to me.

Valve checked every year from now on and this is it. will replace the cam chain if it shows signs of wear (less flexible) and will probably never replace the tensioner.

Thanks for the link for valve shims Indy. I bought my shims at the dealer and they were like 10$ a piece :naughty: I'll go with hot cams the next time.

Beef man,

It sounds like you got your answer, but here's the actual book on PDF. I read the thing online before I got my WR.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oemmanuals.htm

Roger

p.s. my thanks to the folks who posted these manuals! :naughty:

That is great stuff. Anybody know where there is a pdf manual & parts list like this for a 01 WR426??

TIA Robbie

• 1 month later...

I know this is very little late reply on this post but I only just saw it so am replying now but ....

the 1999 manual says to check the valve clearances every 500 kms and / or after every race! Every 1000kms it says to check the valves as well. Not too sure where the 3000 miles idea came from (unless it is on the later models so please excuse my ignorance if this is the case) but 3000 miles is like 4800kms so the manual would have suggested you would be doing a valve clearance check nearly 10 times over this period!!