Puzzling engine noise

11 replies to this topic
  • David_Reksten

Posted July 31, 2001 - 12:35 AM

I've got a street-legal 2000 WR400 w/o any major modifications that has developed a strange rattling noise in the engine when gassed in low-ish rpms. The sound could be described as the sound of two light metal parts vibrating against each other very rapidly.

The noise disappears if I rev the engine a bit more (change gears) or if I let go of the gas. I have tightened every bolt I might suspect of causing this, but I'm beginning to suspect it's from the engine... Could it perhaps be the cam chain tensioner that needs a look? Anything else that can cause this?

The bike has been run nearly 10 000 km, mostly on roads and some gravel pits/forest trails.

.david

• vincegatcore.com

Posted July 31, 2001 - 03:03 AM

its sounds like drive balancer gear key.
this is starting to happen to alot of people.
mine even cracked my gear.
check this string...
http://www.thumperta...TML/000613.html

• YAMAKAZE

Posted July 31, 2001 - 05:00 AM

I had the same identicle noise. I thought it might be the water pump...Come to find out it was a dry set of front wheel bearings. The noise was traveling up the forks and sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine. You might want to check that, only takes 5 minutes and might save some aggrevation.

Bonzai.... :)

• Dannajoe

Posted July 31, 2001 - 05:02 AM

This may be a long shot but have you checked your chain tension? WRs need to have the chain tension set correctly or you will hear a rattle at acceleration! This baffled me for a full 60 mi woods ride!
Just a thought...Good luck!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 31, 2001 - 05:12 AM

When's the last time you had the valves adjusted? Does your bike start harder now than when the noise was non-existant? My 98 made a "clicking" sound when I applied the throttle, I had the valves adjusted (which is normal) and it fixed the problem. Dry wheel bearings? Yep, that also happend to me when I busted a fork seal and the fluid ran down the fork tube and conviently washed all of the grease out of my front wheel, that just made a horrible "squeel" until I was able to service the bearings..

Just my thoughts.....

• David_Reksten

Posted July 31, 2001 - 10:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies!

I'll be sure to take a good look at the drive balancer gear key -- sounds nasty.

I'm not too sure about the sound being related to valve clearances (I checked them recently) or wheel bearings, but I'll have a second look anyway.

Thanks again!

.david

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vincegatcore.com

Posted July 31, 2001 - 11:23 AM

balancer drive key is not too bad..

about two hours for me.

• David_Reksten

Posted August 01, 2001 - 02:10 AM

That doesn't sound too bad (although I suspect you're a faster mechanic than me). Do I need to order anything in addition to the drive key in question? Perhaps a new cover gasket and lock washer to be on the safe side. Anything else worth replacing while I'm there?

Living in Norway, some parts can take quite a while before they arrive. I'd better get everything right the first time...

• vincegatcore.com

Posted August 01, 2001 - 03:06 AM

If your gbalancer drive gear isn,t cracked
all you will need is the key.
its just a little square piece of metal
you can have it built at any machine shop cheap & fast

they are exactly in inches
.196 square by
.388 long
I used keystock
these are nice and snug

I took mine apart twice and still used the same gasket

here are the yamaha part numbers.
balencer drive gear part# 5BE-11536-00-00
Straight key part# 90282-05034-00

the gear was about $50.00
the key was about $1.20

both items were on backorder in the U.S.
so I had to make my own key
and waited three weeks for the gear

good luck

Vince

• vincegatcore.com

Posted August 01, 2001 - 03:12 AM

I also used my old lockwashers
its not the right way to do it but was cheaper and I did not notice any reason while there to replace them

if you are going to buy them there is one on the clutch basket and the drive balencer gear you will have to remove

• Tony_Miller

Posted August 01, 2001 - 05:10 PM

Sounds to me like it may be a bad rod bearing. My WR400 had this happen. Remove the flywheel cover (you can lay the bike on its side so it won't loose oil). Grab the flywheel with your hand and rotate it back and forth slightly. If you have a bad rod bearing you will feel a little slop and hear the noise. Don't just use a socket on the flywheel nut, as you won't get a good enough feel that way, take the cover right off!

[This message has been edited by Tony Miller (edited 08-01-2001).]

• tonymontana

Posted August 01, 2001 - 06:26 PM

I can almost guarantee it to be the drive chain. Don't be alarmed, and DONT TIGHTEN THE DRIVE CHAIN TOO TIGHT !

------------------
Tony Montana
01 WR426

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.