Damn fuel screw!!

15 replies to this topic
  • sharpmarble

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:24 AM

While installing my JD jetting kit last night, I tried to remove the fuel screw to install the new Zip-ty. Yet, try as I might the damn thing would not drop out....:cry: Is there some trick to get that thing out of there? I ended up leaving the stocker in....:cry: I'm pissed....

• x2stroker

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:28 AM

I've had the same problem. I straighted a small paper clip and used it to pick it out. Also, try squirting carb cleaner (with the little stem) up into the pilot hole.... this may help to dislodge it.:cry:

• sharpmarble

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:34 AM

I tried carb cleaner, and a tiny screwdriver. I think I will try the bent paperclip....:cry:

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:47 AM

The sure way is to remove the carb and take the bowl off. You want to make sure that when you remove it you do not loose the oring, washer & spring that are on it. You will need them to install the Zipty screw (otherwise the bike will run very badly).

• Domenic_WRF

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:48 AM

You have to remove the bowl on 98-00 FCR's. The bowl has a flange to prevent the screw from falling out. :cry:

• sharpmarble

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:04 AM

:cry: I thought about that, but I never read anything that eluded to it....

Thanks for the info. I will take the bowl off.

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:06 AM

The sure way is to remove the carb and take the bowl off. You want to make sure that when you remove it you do not loose the oring, washer & spring that are on it. You will need them to install the Zipty screw (otherwise the bike will run very badly).

I'll vouge for that! I had the same problem, kinda. I lost my fuel screw while on the road, including o-ring and spring. I ordered the zip-ty assuming it came with that stuff needless to say it didn't. I then had to order that hardware from Yamaha ($40) then I was in business. It sucked. The bike will run without it but like PBDBLUE said not very well.

• Jackazz

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:10 AM

I'll vouge for that! I had the same problem, kinda. I lost my fuel screw while on the road, including o-ring and spring. I ordered the zip-ty assuming it came with that stuff needless to say it didn't. I then had to order that hardware from Yamaha ($40) then I was in business. It sucked. The bike will run without it but like PBDBLUE said not very well.

FYI - You can get the spring, washer & o-ring parts from www.sudco.com, for much cheaper.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • r_dawg1021

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:22 AM

FYI - You can get the spring, washer & o-ring parts from www.sudco.com, for much cheaper.

SOB. Are they new? I posted and asked if anyone knew anything and everyone said the dealer was the place to go. Oh well, that's good to know for next time and at least people can find it when searching. Thanks Azz.

• Jackazz

Posted January 12, 2005 - 10:00 AM

I only found out that sudco had them for cheaper when I went to their site recently in search for better prices on jets. I think SUDCO is the US's "premier" Keihin dealer, or something...

• terrymc

Posted January 12, 2005 - 10:37 AM

Sudco is great to deal with and very knowledgable too!

• Jackazz

Posted January 12, 2005 - 11:14 AM

after some quick research...

Yamaha OEM pilot screw, spring, washer, & o-ring from DGY.com

Part #5NL-14105-00-00
PILOT SCREW SET
$21.57

Individual parts from SUDCO, using their retail price list

Pilot Screw
Part #021-729
$7.40

Pilot Screw Coil Spring
Part #021-041
$2.31

Pilot Screw Washer
Part #021-045
$0.53

Pilot Screw O-Ring
Part #021-043
$0.63

& also of note:

Yamaha OEM throttle stop screw (WR & YZ)

WR
Part #5TJ-14591-00-00
SCREW
$12.73

YZ
Part #5JG-14591-00-00
SCREW
$9.18

SUDCO (Only shows one part #, I'd bet it's the same as the YZ one)

Pilot Screw Washer
Part #021-722
$8.90

• JDube

Posted January 14, 2005 - 11:08 PM

was it ok to install the red zip-ty in 05 wr 450 and no jd kit yet?

• JDube

Posted January 14, 2005 - 11:28 PM

Oh Ya, on my 05 wr 450 the plug already had a pilot hole to help remove from the factory. no drilling just a little screw and popped right out. new red screw was really no problem. tunning is my next problem, my first 4-stroke, i'm so confused! what hapened to 1-fuel line 1- drain hose and a throttle cable. these thigs are as big as the carb in my 81 dually. what the hell!

• mtrablue

Posted January 15, 2005 - 06:54 AM

i don't mean to bag on the zipty fuel screw but there are better out there. the zipty is aluminum and it's possible to have the tip twist off inside the carb. at the very least, you'll wear a groove in it every time you reseat the screw. which would be every time you remove and replace the float bowl. there are several brass pilot fuel screws on the market these days that hold up much better. scotts performance and koubalink both sell one.

• blireef

Posted January 15, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Roger, Roger, Metrablue you are so right on the Zip-Ty screw, I can't believe Ty even puts his name on it, if you do use it....Make sure you don't overtighten the Zip-Ty screw!!!! I did that on my 426 and the tip broke off and jammed in the hole. To make a long and expensive story short, after sending the carb to Zip-Ty and having their "carb expert" work on it (He simply drilled out the tip with a straight bit, no taper) I finally had to buy a new carb. Fortunately James Dean had a used one so it didn't cost $855.00 but was still expensive.. The bike won't run worth a darn without the screw or with a big hole drilled where it should seat. I suggest the Kubota fuel screw it's made out of brass like the stock one and is very easy to adjust. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.