Best soft terrian tire?

11 replies to this topic

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:48 AM

Currently I am running the Dunlop 773 tires on my YZ450. The track I ride on has a lot of sand in it but does have a mixture of dirt pretty consitantly mixed in. Like 2 to 3 inches of soft stuff then firm under that. I am looking for a tire that hooks up a bit better. I was wondering if any of you can contrast it to the Star Cross Tires?

• RussVCHSS

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:42 AM

The S-12 is a good tire on the rear, however I never liked the front at all when you occationally might come across some hard packed. The 773 is a pretty good tire up front in all conditions, however I would go with an IRC M5B on the rear. You will get GREAT traction in the soft stuff and find that it wears MUCH better than the 773.

• 226DAD

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:07 AM

S-12, Great hook-up, wears good too.

• Chills

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:40 AM

I personally prefer the Maxxis. They have their HT(Hard Terrain), IT(Intermediate Terrain), and ST(Soft Terrain) tires, that are awesome. I run the IT for the versatility, and it hooks up great in just about every condition. If you trully want a soft tire, that wears rather fast, A lot of people praise the Kenda Southwick and Millville, but you go through them much faster than a Maxxis.

• cojo

Posted January 12, 2005 - 03:47 PM

756 dunlop, and dont get a kenda, they sure are wicked when they are new but they wear so so so fast.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 12, 2005 - 04:17 PM

I just mounted a new 773 before the last ride and I was very happy with the traction in the soft stuff. I see you're in FL like me, where do you ride? Some of the tracks where I ride occasionally get blue groove in some areas and piles of powder and sugar sand in others so a versatile tire is good. I had a michilen soft-intermediate before the 773 (don't remember the model) and it hooked up well in both soft and hard pack, but it wore out FAST. One ride and the edge is already off the knobs of the 773, we'll see how it holds up going forward.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chills

Posted January 12, 2005 - 05:19 PM

I actually swore by the 756 Dunlap for the longest time until i was converted to Maxxis IT, which I love.

And YES, the Kenda's from what I hear WEAR out SUPER FAST but are unbelievable to use at the expense of constantly changing them.

• MasiveMoe

Posted January 12, 2005 - 05:22 PM

S-12's all the way!!!

• madharvic

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:30 PM

I love my S-12's. I ride in soft sand and some mud. It is a big difference from the stock tires that came with the bike. I have found that adjusting the tire pressure makes a big difference also.

• Heckler

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:42 PM

Dunlop 756...

• oldbones

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:06 PM

S-12 rear is the shiznit. Great tire. I ran over 100 miles in a 24 hour race last fall on the 426 with a new S-12, and after the race the tire still looked brand new. I was VERY impressed!

• MXKyle

Posted January 20, 2005 - 06:04 AM

I've tried the S-12 and the 756 on my 450 here in Central Florida. The best tire you will find for the beast is the one you have. I love the 773 for our dirt.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.