A YZ cam in a WR,make any difference?

13 replies to this topic
  • wantmorepower

Posted January 11, 2005 - 11:04 PM

I've hear some people talking about having replaced the cams in a WR with the ones from a YZ. have a misheard? it seems like it would make a big difference in low to mid range torque. has anyone done this moadification to their WR. if i was to do the mod, it'd be on an 05 WR450. whats the difficulty involved?

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 12, 2005 - 05:58 AM

I'm running a YZ cam in my '04 and the power increase is substantial. Much stronger off the bottom all the way through. Having said that it can be a bit of a handful for the novice rider or on tight woods type trails as the bottom end hit is pretty substantial. I ride mostly desert XC and for that it is a great setup. Installation is really not much more difficult than adjusting the valves. In my case I didn't even have to reshim as the clearances were within tolerance. The manual has a pretty good description of the procedure. All in all highly recommended!

• simon@vic

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:42 AM

I'm running a YZ cam in my '04 and the power increase is substantial. Much stronger off the bottom all the way through. Having said that it can be a bit of a handful for the novice rider or on tight woods type trails as the bottom end hit is pretty substantial.

i wil;l 2nd that. seems to have allot more power everywhere. but the tire can spin up faster if your not ready for it.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I know Hotcams have some pretty nice products, from what my dealer (and good friend) tells me, YZ cams will for sure wake up the WR but it comes with a cost. For me, I can ride faster with better throttle control through tight sections, this is why Yamaha changed up the 450s to have a smoother power delivery as apposed to the abrupt power of the old 400s and 426s. Heck, Yamaha is even making their new YZs with a smoother and more manageable motor. If I was strictly racing motocross I would want abrupt power for exiting corners, I don't need that same power for offroad. Like I said, the YZ cams work well on the WRs but you loose throttle control at the same time.

Perfect example.... I YZ timed my old 426, before when it was WR timed I could ride a wheelie with the greatest of ease for a long time. When I YZ timed it, I had to fight the throttle to keep the front end in place and I no longer could wheelie the bike like I used to. Might seem like a dumb example but it showed me how much more throttle control a WR timed bike has, this directly applies to wheelspin and control when riding/racing offroad..

Only my opinion............

• Gadsen

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I have been considering it. But in all honesty, I had a YZ timed WR426 and it was much more violent in the hit. The WR is much easier to trail ride. But I like all that power to roost a yard of dirt at will.:cry: I have been looking into part numbers from Yamaha, the YZ cam (exhaust only, intakes are identical) is 5TA-12180-00-00 and it retails for $146.35. The WR camshaft (exhaust only) is 5TA-12180-10-00 and it retails for $196.32! These are both auto decompression cams for a 04 YZ/WR450, wonder why the YZ is much less.:cry: There was a myth about the timing chain having different pitch, they both have the same part number, so its just that, a myth. The chain retails for only $13.99! When my first valve adjust comes around, I just might have to have a YZ camshaft on hand. Hey, if I dont like it, I'm sure I can sell it here or on ebay!:cry: :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted January 13, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have been considering it. But in all honesty, I had a YZ timed WR426 and it was much more violent in the hit. The WR is much easier to trail ride. But I like all that power to roost a yard of dirt at will.:cry: I have been looking into part numbers from Yamaha, the YZ cam (exhaust only, intakes are identical) is 5TA-12180-00-00 and it retails for $146.35. The WR camshaft (exhaust only) is 5TA-12180-10-00 and it retails for $196.32! These are both auto decompression cams for a 04 YZ/WR450, wonder why the YZ is much less.:cry: There was a myth about the timing chain having different pitch, they both have the same part number, so its just that, a myth. The chain retails for only $13.99! When my first valve adjust comes around, I just might have to have a YZ camshaft on hand. Hey, if I dont like it, I'm sure I can sell it here or on ebay!:cry: :cry:

Hey, you can go to https://www.zanottim...ing/pLookUp.php & get that cam for $94.40. + S&H.:cry:

• Hamish

Posted January 13, 2005 - 12:12 PM

There was a myth about the timing chain having different pitch, they both have the same part number, so its just that, a myth.

The timing chain difference is between the 400/426 motors and the 450 motors. YZ and WR's of the same year model have always had the same timing chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Manic

Posted January 13, 2005 - 01:04 PM

I,ve got a 04 YZ450 cam I bought for my 99 400 before I found out they have different size chains. If anyone is interested I'll let it go for $80.00.

Manic

• Gadsen

Posted January 13, 2005 - 01:45 PM

I,ve got a 04 YZ450 cam I bought for my 99 400 before I found out they have different size chains. If anyone is interested I'll let it go for $80.00.

Manic

:cry: Sounds like a sweet deal. Was it ever used? Or still new. I may have to take that off your hands!:cry: I'll PM you this evening. (at work now, shhhh)

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 13, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Manic,

That cam WILL fit in your bike, its the same cam as the 03 that everybody fits to there 400/426's.

• Manic

Posted January 13, 2005 - 06:23 PM

The cam is used, I bought it new and ran it for a short time, it worked great but like I said when I found out they had a different size chain, I didn't want to risk damaging my engine. I could send pictures if you wanted and I still have the original packaging.

Manic:thumbsup:

• Manic

Posted January 14, 2005 - 01:29 PM

Looking at the part #'s, it looks like the 250 has a different chain also.

Manic:confused:

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 14, 2005 - 06:08 PM

I did over 10,500 ks with my 450 cam, hows that for peice of mind ?

• Pure 400 Power

Posted September 03, 2005 - 10:33 AM

I just rotated my 99 WR400's cam to match the YZ specs and also did a number of mods like grey wire, throttle stop, and air box snorkle removle at the same time, and all i have to say is wow, what a difference, the thing has way more mid range to top end and great throttle response, i love it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.