Handguards for a WR450?

30 replies to this topic
  • spiceboy

Posted January 13, 2005 - 12:30 AM

Re: Tusk D Flex guards, I have them on my WR & the bar bracket broke first time I laid it down, I was a little dissapointed with that, I now have the Tusks attached with some Acerbis clamps that are more solid, but would choose Cycra's if I was in the market again.

• Kirk5189

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Hummmmmmmmmmm..........:cry: These look a lot like Cycra Pro Bends except a different deflector????? :cry:

Thats what I liked about them. I was going to get the Cyrcas but didn't like the deflector (too big) So I hope that when I get these I am not disapointed with quality, fit etc.. I am always weary about buying something I haven't seen from the internet.

• Atlasrider

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I have the Tusk D-Flex on my 04 WR450, with 909 bars. I got them @ www.RockyMountianATVMC.com . Mainly because one of the guys there reccomended them based on the price and the fit.

I found the initial installation fit difficult. I tried moving the mounting brackets around a few different ways and finally found a solid fit that did'nt interfere with the controls. They come with an extra layer of plastic that can be put on over the gaurds to give even more protection, but again the fit was bad as far as how the screw holes line up. I ended up tossing the extra gaurd covers and just have the basic set-up. They seem to be holding up OK although I have not had any serious get-offs to really test them, yet. I only have 540 miles on the bike.
In short the Cycra or Accerbis are probably a better choice.

• snmhanson

Posted January 13, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Alright, I will get new guards in the near future but for now I am going to put the Acerbis guards that I have on. They will fit for the most part but the only problem is that the brake cable (actually the big rubber cover thing) is directly in the way of the bar clamp for my right guard. I could rotate my brake a little if I had to but I am pretty comfortable with where it is. Did anyone else experience this and if so how did you solve that problem? I could just force the cable under or over the clamp to make but that doesn't seem like an ideal solution. Do they make clamps that curve around the brake cable or do you just force it?

Thanks again.

• Jackazz

Posted January 13, 2005 - 12:30 PM

If you look at the pics I posted above, I kinda ran into the same situation. I just ran the "center" clamps as far inboard as possible & kinda mashed the one on the brake side up as far as I could before tightening it down. It seems to have ended up in a fairly decent position.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxtailleader

Posted January 13, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, i was thinking about ordering them

• briter

Posted January 13, 2005 - 09:42 PM

I originally put the Cycra side clamp brushbusters on my stock WR450 bars. My brother managed to bend the cycra side clamp and my stock bars on his first ride. I replaced the side clamp (around $50) and the stock bars with Renthal Jimmy Button High Bars. Haven't had another major biff but would go with the original cycra bar mount system rather than the side or triple clamp for added strenght, just my 2cents.

• J_DOGG

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:12 AM

They are strong as hell and connect at the bar end so they don't bend.
I don't use the plastic deflector just the aluminum bar part is good enough for me.

• jwriott

Posted January 14, 2005 - 09:17 AM

I have had 2 pairs of these Acerbis guards http://www.acerbis.c...guard/1325.html and I'd NEVER put them on another bike again. They came on the last 2 bikes I purchased and didn't even have a scratch on them. One wreck and they are trashed. The mounts that clamp to the bars are total junk and the bolts they use are too small so they pull out of the mounts. TOTAL POS!!!!

The Enduro Engineering units are some of the best for the money that you can buy. I'm pretty sure they make them for MSR and Moose.

This time, I tried the Cycra's and have not been as happy with them as my buddy has been. They changed the inner handle bar mount and it doesn't hold them as securely as the old style. I took them off and re-installed them and have not had any problems so far.

Did I mention I wreck hard? :cry:

Posted January 14, 2005 - 11:29 AM

Thats what I liked about them. I was going to get the Cyrcas but didn't like the deflector (too big) So I hope that when I get these I am not disapointed with quality, fit etc.. I am always weary about buying something I haven't seen from the internet.

Cycra makes their Low Profile Enduro deflector for the Pro-Bend. It is a much smaller, lower profile replacement. I switch back and forth between the "big" one and the slimmer one depending on riding conditions. I can't find them on Cycra's site but you can order them directly. I found them at Rocky Mountain MC too.

• jws

Posted January 14, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Cycra Pro Bend :cry:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.