'04 WR450F Gray Wire Mod - Bogus?

25 replies to this topic
  • Oouthere

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:19 PM

I've ran a search but want to know one thing. Does the bike actually excellerate faster with the wire disconnected? Running against the 250mx'ers, I occasionally get outpulled on the straights and would like to resolve this little problem :cry:

Thanks,

Rich

• cruise

Posted January 12, 2005 - 01:50 AM

it makes it rev a little better. but the best thing i did to make mine faster was
the JD jet kit open the air box and the yz pipe.

• Treebanger

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:45 AM

Yes, the grey mod works. The bike will pull harder in the low to mid range . 3rd to 4th shift is where I thought it made a real different.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:05 AM

If you want to really resolve being out run then get your head massaged, and try a big bore kit because pulling a a wire out of your wiring harness is NOT going to make you so much faster that now you can out run all these bikes.
You may get a little bump in your performance but not enough to call nasa :cry:
Displacement = Power
Period
You want performance? try HERE
Good Luck

• Oouthere

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:11 AM

I don't want to do any radical changes since the dependability factor is nice! I'm running the JD kit, cut screw and no insert so she runs good but is still getting pulled. I seldom break from 3rd gear, usually 2nd in the turns and third on the straights and jumps.

So long as the 250MX'er is stock the WR can hold it, but any mods and they run away. It bothered me bad during one race as a YZ250 was 2' off my handlebars for 3 straight jumps, he couldn't pull me and I couldn't pull him.

Maybe a YZ cam....

Thanks guys,

Rich

• timvv51

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I think a good runnin 250 two stroke will stay close a good runnin 450 four stroke thru about the middle of 3rd gear or so. Thats why they have them in the same moto class. But when you hit 4th and 5th gear the 250s start fallin back. But thats just my limited experience with drag racing the boys in the hood.

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:29 AM

I've ran a search but want to know one thing. Does the bike actually excellerate faster with the wire disconnected? Running against the 250mx'ers, I occasionally get outpulled on the straights and would like to resolve this little problem :cry:

Thanks,

Rich

From what I've researched you've really got nothing to lose by doing the mod. I've got an 04 as well and haven't done the mod yet only because I haven't had all that much time. My plan is to run a toggle to it so I can easily turn it on or off prior to starting the bike up. It's just the difference of being grounded or not grounded.

It's cool to see someone on a WR out there racing MX.

• Treebanger

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:39 AM

I think a good runnin 250 two stroke will stay close a good runnin 450 four stroke thru about the middle of 3rd gear or so. Thats why they have them in the same moto class. But when you hit 4th and 5th gear the 250s start fallin back. But thats just my limited experience with drag racing the boys in the hood.

04 Wr All the mods ,Hare scramble couple of weeks ago Pulled a zook 250 2stk in 4th and 5th in a straight your limited experience matches mine . 1st 2nd and 3rd its a fair fight usually, if its blue groove I'll give it to the 4stk

• chipwich

Posted January 12, 2005 - 04:21 PM

With lights, kickstand, e-start, odometer, etc. a WR450 is a long way from an MX bike. Still, I take my WR occasionally on an MX track, lights, license plate and all :cry: It's a lot of fun and the stock suspension does remarkably well, albeit a bit undersprung for a really rough track.

Accerlation is a tough call, because there are so many variables, like rider weight for instance. Furthermore, if you are racing a 270 lb motorcycle against a 230 lb motorcycle, say in the instance that you describe, the lighter one will have the edge given equal power, rider skill, available traction, etc. So, on an MX track there is no way a WR will stay with a skilled rider on a 2 smoker 250. But how about a YZ450F? That would be a fair comparison, but not a WR against lightweight 250 MXers.

Personally, my free mod 04 WR450 feels like it gives little to any motorcycle. If I whip it hard, it really hauls ass, and I am usually skeptical when I read of folks wanting more power. It's a little porky for sure, but I can't remeber really thinking that it needed more power. Maybe I was getting spanked by a better rider or someone on a really light bike on an MX track, but I didn't blame that sweet engine in the WR. If we wanted MX bikes, we would have bought them. I'm realizing that would be really nice to have both though.

• RdeBlue001

Posted January 12, 2005 - 05:42 PM

why not just ge ta crf 450r, then put on a kickstand and baja kit... perfect offroad and track bike...
holla
phil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cruise

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:01 PM

CUT THE GREY WIRE & THE AIR BOX :cry:

• YamahaSteve

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:58 PM

I am going to have to give a :cry: on the gray wire mod. It tells the computer wether it is a WR or YZ 450... soebody posted a timing chart once for a WR with the gray wire pulled and connected... the WR timing is severly retarded after a few thousand RPM. Once the wire is disconnected the ignition timing keeps getting advanced as a YZ 450 would... to make optimal power the engine has be advanced for the flame front to reach the piston at TDC... if you wait then you lose power. How much you lose is ??... I felt a diff when I did it. Not world changing power but a big midrange and top end boost.

• Treebanger

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:04 AM

Check the Glen Helen 24 hr race results see how many CRF's finished. Not flameing the Honda , just the facts. I ride a stripped down WR ,setup YZ Style. You ask why? Simple the magic button .If your 5'-6'' with a 30" inseam its the only way to go . I never look for a spot to crank the bike. I lost the 04 in a fire and replaced with the 05 haven't really had a chance to take it to the race I can say the 05 motor is very smooth.

• Oouthere

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:39 AM

I love MX bikes but the dependability is to good to pass on my WR. When I'm tired the magic button works wonders! When the other racers are tired, they hate to hear me hit the electric start...lol They made some comments at the gate during the second heat about how they wish they had the electric start.....killed the bike three times quickly and boy were they mad! Of course, they kicked my tail too.....

Rich

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Check the Glen Helen 24 hr race results see how many CRF's finished. Not flameing the Honda , just the facts. I ride a stripped down WR ,setup YZ Style. You ask why? Simple the magic button .If your 5'-6'' with a 30" inseam its the only way to go . I never look for a spot to crank the bike. I lost the 04 in a fire and replaced with the 05 haven't really had a chance to take it to the race I can say the 05 motor is very smooth.

The '05 motor is a bit different than the '04 as far as output isn't it? Could it be smoother simply cause it has a little less power? Just curious. I haven't looked much at the '05 but I thought I read they change the bore\stroke and a few other things that affect power.

• Atlasrider

Posted January 13, 2005 - 08:11 AM

I am going to have to give a :cry: on the gray wire mod. It tells the computer wether it is a WR or YZ 450... soebody posted a timing chart once for a WR with the gray wire pulled and connected... the WR timing is severly retarded after a few thousand RPM. Once the wire is disconnected the ignition timing keeps getting advanced as a YZ 450 would... to make optimal power the engine has be advanced for the flame front to reach the piston at TDC... if you wait then you lose power. How much you lose is ??... I felt a diff when I did it. Not world changing power but a big midrange and top end boost.

YamahaSteve, I have an 04WR450 and ride at the same altitude (4700' in Utah),
I was noticing your jetting settings in your signature. Do you have it piped also or just unplugged? Concerning the grey wire, is there a time when you think it's better to have the WR timing? Like making it easier to start or a type of terrain that you would want slower timing?

• Treebanger

Posted January 13, 2005 - 08:47 AM

The '05 motor is a bit different than the '04 as far as output isn't it? Could it be smoother simply cause it has a little less power? Just curious. I haven't looked much at the '05 but I thought I read they change the bore\stroke and a few other things that affect power.

Good question I believe Yamaha has detuned the 05 just a little . The shop I ride out of Sponsers Josh DeMuth Motion Cycle Sports Team Shogun . Its my understanding that His race bike was detuned in 04 to make it more rideable. I liked the hit the 04 WR has I think its a great combination of engine and gearing for my riding style. We'll see how much the 05 has. I setup the 05 exactly like the 04 ,just running the bike in at home /heat cycling it . The bike just pulled hard no big hit , reminded me of the KTM smoothe throttle response.

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 13, 2005 - 08:51 AM

Good question I believe Yamaha has detuned the 05 just a little . The shop I ride out of Sponsers Josh DeMuth Motion Cycle Sports Team Shogun . Its my understanding that His race bike was detuned in 04 to make it more rideable. I liked the hit the 04 WR has I think its a great combination of engine and gearing for my riding style. We'll see how much the 05 has. I setup the 05 exactly like the 04 ,just running the bike in at home /heat cycling it . The bike just pulled hard no big hit , reminded me of the KTM smoothe throttle response.

Once you get some track time you'll have to let us know how it compares to your '04 :cry:

• Treebanger

Posted January 13, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I will, we have a local Hare scramble series going right now ,have two more races. Then we go to Glimer, Tx for the GNCC . Our Big Series (TCCRA) starts Feb 12th thats a 14 race series , we also have a couple of WORCS races that will happen locally . I Raced the one at Decatuer ,TX Oak Hill Track saw a lot of fast guys most of the national level riders made a appearance. The speed of those guys is to die for.

• bushman06

Posted January 13, 2005 - 03:09 PM

He guys,

New kid on the block here. I really appreciate all the tips and help you guys have posted! I have the '05 WR450 and love this machine. So far I have removed the baffler on the air box, the snorkle on the stock exhaust. I have ordered the JD kit. Not sure if I will get a can due to noise levels.

My question is that I am entering enduros and Hare races this year and need to know, do I really need to pull the grey wire to make my bike run more like a YZ? I will be doing very little track work.

Cheers for any help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.