XR650L Carb Mods

15 replies to this topic
  • Winter_Hawk

Posted January 11, 2005 - 03:29 PM

:cry: Thanks to Dave and many others :cry: who discovered this excellent way to liven up the XRL. I just drilled slide, shimmed needle and rejetted as described by Dave . I had always wanted to see some pics, so I took some and wrote it up here:

http://www.4strokes....416&whichpage=3

I would post it here too, but I have had a hell of a time posting pics here...

Hope it helps,
Brian

• Misfit

Posted January 11, 2005 - 06:38 PM

NICE cant find Instructions any easier than that!! :cry: :cry:

• cheff

Posted January 11, 2005 - 06:51 PM

[color=black]Yea that’s the most detailed ones I have seen. One question he has all his vacuum ports plugged, I do as well and still get some pop on deceleration. No matter how hard I look I can’t find a pic of which 2 ports to connect.[/color]

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:17 PM

The connections are from the very front-top vac port to the diaphragm valve on the right side of the carb.

Dave

• rokklym

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:57 PM

Wow, looks pretty straightforward, I'm going to have to try that pretty soon.

Thanks for the pics & instructions.

• Dual_Dog

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:05 AM

If you really want to get down to the finer points of the XRL, check out this link. This is where I got the info on the how and the why about all the different mods for the BFP (Big Fat Pig). Most folks know of this group already.

http://autos.groups....om/group/xrlug/

I've gone further with moddin' my '98 than I did on all my previous Thumpers. This is mostly from the confidence gained from the knowledge and support provided by the members of these groups, and the endless amount of information found on both these sites. The members have seen all the seemingly ridiculous newbie questions over a hundred times and never get tired of responding to them.

Hats off to the internet and TT! :cry:

• Winter_Hawk

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:24 PM

[color=black]One question he has all his vacuum ports plugged, I do as well and still get some pop on deceleration. No matter how hard I look I can’t find a pic of which 2 ports to connect.[/color]

No popping here (since drilling, shimming and jetting) with WB E Series slip-on, Keihin 165m and 55 or 58p (long from BD), Uni filter, 2.5x out.

-B

• GMac

Posted January 14, 2005 - 06:08 AM

WinterHawk,

An excellent guide, I sure could have used it a few months ago, Thanks to Dave for the info and your hard work with the photos etc., Even with digital cameras it takes time and effort to do these things. One minor nit to pick is the fact that I believe the main & pilot jets are labeled backwards. Either that or my bike runs great with the jets reversed! Thanks again GMac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chorbelt

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I think the main and slow jets labels are switched in the last picture of the carb bottom.

• Winter_Hawk

Posted January 14, 2005 - 08:36 AM

I think the main and slow jets labels are switched in the last picture of the carb bottom.

Yup, sorry bout that guys. Doesn't matter too much though... You'll find as you remove one, it is obvious which is the correct replacement.

I have corrected the post, sorry for any confusion.

-B

• Chorbelt

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Sorry - I didn't mean that as a ding on your write up:applause: , I just know a lot of people who have never been inside a carb before, and thought they might get confused - you're right, if you know what the jets look like, it'll be obvious once you get it opened up.

• HondaXR650L

Posted January 15, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Thank you guys, I am about to do the carb mod. with a friend of mine, and I have not done one yet. He has ,now I have a clue, but a few questions though, I just bought my 02 XRL and most of the uncorking had been done. Will a White Bros E series exaust with only 11 disks in it provide enough back pressure for it? Or do I need to add more? Yes, the bike has been on a diet.

• HondaXR650R

Posted January 17, 2005 - 02:55 AM

Hi Roy,

As far as I understand it, the XR650L runs best either stock or fully uncorked. I think once we add the airbox gasket and rejet your carb it might just run perfectly. If not, we can tune your WB exhaust with disks.

One other thing we could do is remove your exhaust head pipe and grind off the "ridge" inside it with a dremel/rotozip tool. That is supposed to help with air flow... and that's a good thing! Anytime you have better air flow you have a cooler running engine and usually more power, too! :cry:

The trick is to have your carb dialed-in according to how the rest of your bike is set up. Right now it's a beast with a sissy carb. Now we just need to turn sissy into a nasty bitch with PMS! :cry:

Your friend,

Ben

• HondaXR650L

Posted January 17, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Why thank you, I sure am glad to get someone elses oppinion that won't be working on the bike with me at your house. By the way thanks for introducing me to this form.

• HondaXR650R

Posted January 29, 2005 - 10:33 PM

hee hee :cry:

• HondaXR650L

Posted January 29, 2005 - 11:20 PM

We succesfully did our carb mod. much thanks :cry: to Honda XR650R You the Man!!!!:cry:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.