Front Axel guard screw: Is it needed?

10 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted January 11, 2005 - 01:23 PM

I know the obvious answer but I'm wondering am I dumb for even attempting to ride without this screw going into the axel? The screw that I am referring to is the one that screws through the lower fork plastic protector and into the end of the front axel. Some how I managed to F' it up and cross threaded the screw into the axel. Hopefully I just need to track down a new screw, worse case I need a new axel :cry: I think I need to look at how I screw things cause this is the second screw that I've screwed up, the first being the stator screw.

Thanks for any advice.

• Jackazz

Posted January 11, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Try & drink a little less coffee before working on your bike. :cry:

Seriously, I've learned (the hard way, of course :cry: ) to start threading EVERY bolt I touch gently to make sure it's not cross-threaded. If there's tons of thread-locking compound on the bolt, or whatever it screws into, clean them both up before reassembly.

& when all else fails, invest in a quality metric tap & die set. I know mine has saved me several times.

• drewpeacock

Posted January 11, 2005 - 03:58 PM

On my old 426 I twisted the head right off the same one you are referring to. I ran without it for many miles. However, it sure would suck if the front tire came off because of it. :cry:

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 11, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Good advice thanks. It sucks when I try to be so careful with everything and every once in awhile just slip. I'd like to add that I cannot believe how much sand gets into every part on a bike. I won't be taking my bike out in the sand again that's for sure.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:48 AM

rdawg, You bring up a good point. That one bolt never seems to like being in the axle in the first place. It just doesn't go in or out like other bolts on the bike. I have always greased that bolt and don't tightend too much. It's almost like the two metals don't like each other. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • r_dawg1021

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:03 AM

rdawg, You bring up a good point. That one bolt never seems to like being in the axle in the first place. It just doesn't go in or out like other bolts on the bike. I have always greased that bolt and don't tightend too much. It's almost like the two metals don't like each other. :cry:

Glad I'm not the only one. It seems like a poor design to me I've never seen a screw going into the axel to help stabilize it. Is this standard on dirt bikes? It seems like there would be a better way to do what they are trying to do with that.

BTW-Are axels spendy or is it something that's pretty easy to get cheaply? I'm thinking worsed case scenario. I hate having things broke on my bike for any extended amount of time:thumbsup: Makes it looks bad when it's just sitting in the garage.

• Jackazz

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:07 AM

...Are axels spendy or is it something that's pretty easy to get cheaply? I'm thinking worsed case scenario. I hate having things broke on my bike for any extended amount of time:thumbsup: Makes it looks bad when it's just sitting in the garage.

Have you tried "chasing" the threads in the axle with a tap? You'll be suprised how many times you can clean up threads that appear "totally f**ked" by re-tapping them.

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I haven't tried that Jack, I need to get a tap set. If it were a more serious part I would do the tap thing for sure. I'm sure it's just a matter of time..

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 12, 2005 - 09:40 AM

The stock axle runs about 30 bucks, not too bad.

• RichBaker

Posted January 12, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. It seems like a poor design to me I've never seen a screw going into the axel to help stabilize it. Is this standard on dirt bikes? It seems like there would be a better way to do what they are trying to do with that.

All the screw does is hold the plastic protector on.....it doesn't stabilize anything or hold the AXLE in :cry: . It's perfectly safe to ride without it......

• r_dawg1021

Posted January 12, 2005 - 01:23 PM

All the screw does is hold the plastic protector on.....it doesn't stabilize anything or hold the AXLE in :cry: . It's perfectly safe to ride without it......

The way I justified them putting it there was to ensure that the front axel doesn't back itself out somehow, insurance I guess. I know it would'nt just fall out since there are a few support bolts that hold it in. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming anything that I shouldn't have been. It's street legal and that last thing I want is to go riding down the road on my front forks :cry:

Thanks Rich that makes me feel better. I guess I should keep the empty screws holes to a minimum.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.