Advice?

4 replies to this topic
  • dirtbkr1004

Posted January 11, 2005 - 11:51 AM

hey guys i have a '99 XR 250 as of right now. i am looking into newer bikes and have recently been looking at CRF 450s. i really like the bikes, but the high maitainance just isnt my thing, so many things go wrong with them and i hear all about the valves and whatnot failing very early. so, with that said, i am taking a look at these here WRFs, probably the 450. coming from my XR what could i expect from performance difference, prices, and problems. sry for all the questions. thanks!

• simon@vic

Posted January 11, 2005 - 12:05 PM

even a wr250f will make you cry in shame thinking about your old xr250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 11, 2005 - 05:29 PM

hey guys i have a '99 XR 250 as of right now. i am looking into newer bikes and have recently been looking at CRF 450s. i really like the bikes, but the high maitainance just isnt my thing, so many things go wrong with them and i hear all about the valves and whatnot failing very early. so, with that said, i am taking a look at these here WRFs, probably the 450. coming from my XR what could i expect from performance difference, prices, and problems. sry for all the questions. thanks!

The CRF450F in my book is one of the few bikes that are close to perfection.. It's a fast bike that handles great. I have numerous friends that ride them hard, no problems and totally reliable. You're comparing apples to oranges. The WR is an offroad bike and the CRF is a motocross bike, with aftermarket parts they both can be transformed into just about anything you want. You get what you pay for, if you want a nice easy goin trail bike then keep your XR250 or upgrade to a newer XR400, they're great bikes that can be neglected and run forever. The problem is when you want more performance, it comes with a price, like watching valve tolerances and frequent oil changes. All late model high performance fourstrokes require maintenance, not much if you ask me.

Don't let some of the horror stories about earlier 250X valve trains scare you, Honda's 450 won't let you down as long as take care of it the way it should be. The 05 WR450 is one sweet ride for offroad, it too has valves,5 (more than Honda) but you just have to pay attention to the tolerances like any high performance fourstroke..

Good luck with your decision.... I don't think you can lose either way..

Dan:thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Well some CRF's are not so reliable. We have a bunch of Yamaha 4xx's in our group (I've had three myself) and not one has left a rider stranded in over 5 years. We have two CRF 450's and BOTH have left em walkin in less than two seasons. One for valves and the other tranny. Not good statistics IMO. Neither of these were ridden hard and were well maintained. Arguably the CRF has the superior chassis but the motor is not Honda's strong point.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:25 PM

It is well known that the WR/YZ's engines go longer between valve adjustments, top end service, piston replacement than on the CRF's. But you will pay for the reliabilty with a higher center of gravity engine that makes the entire bike handle heavier feeling than CRF's. Perfomance has its price. Honda has built a truely high performance bike in the CRF's but at a cost to average Joe rider in constant engine maintenance.:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.