What color should I paint the frame?

12 replies to this topic
  • crayztwentyseven

Posted January 10, 2005 - 10:15 PM

I am rebuilding an xr 650 from the ground up. I want to repaint the frame and maybe change plastic color while Im at it.:cry: Anybody got any cool color combos or graphics that you've thought about? I have no idea what colors to go for:lame: . Any imput would be much appreciated!

• michaeln

Posted January 11, 2005 - 06:39 AM

I'd like to have mine kind of a gunmetal grey. I think you shouldn't paint it though... have it powdercoated instead. Powdercoating is much tougher.

• Misfit

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I think black looks the coolest on bikes just my opinion In the near future I would like to get my bike done in all black.:cry:

• michaeln

Posted January 11, 2005 - 10:21 AM

Mine is already all black, except the frame. That's why I think a gunmetal grey would look good on the frame.

• roadcam

Posted January 11, 2005 - 11:49 AM

a silver-grey like the stock color enables you to use about any body color you like, plus, I think the silver helps you see hairline frame cracks easier ... while I'm a fan of powder-coating, I just wonder if it would tend to hide cracks in the frame ?? anybody had any experience that way ?

• Misfit

Posted January 11, 2005 - 01:26 PM

How much does it cost to powdercoat the frame??? And where do you get it done at?:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J_T

Posted January 11, 2005 - 01:36 PM

What about polishing the aluminum to a mirror shine instead of its matte finish now? I've seen freestyle bikes polished up!

Maybe it more attractive to us rednecks...we love those shinny objects!

I think it was Jeff Foxworthy that said thats why they made Bass Boats glitter...so we'd buy them!

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:16 PM

Great ideas gentlemen!! I like the gunmetal grey frame idea, matched with black plastics:thumbsup: that sounds sweet:worthy: also I have looked into the powdercoating and I could get it coated in a dark grey if I wanted.

And yes I will polish most of the alumminum:thumbsup:

Any More Ideas!!!!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:27 AM

Team Yamaha uses www.embee.com for their frames. Also, Applied powder coating in Van Nuys does a lot of frames. I personaly use a company called "Ajax powder coating", they are also in Van Nuys near the Budweiser plant, they do a great job and their finishes are second to none. I'm guessing a 650 frame would be around 200.00 with a two day turnaround.

• michaeln

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:30 PM

I'd like to have my engine be black too.

• Tros

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:12 PM

I've got to ask this question or it'll bother me all night.

How can you paint the plastic (like the fender for example) without the paint cracking really bad? Is there just some sort of paint a person should use? :cry:

• savageracing

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:33 PM

You have to use automotive bumper paint. It has a flex additive. There was another guy who posted pics in the video/pic forum who painted his kid's xr ktm orange and it came out great. I believe he said it was a new type of automotive paint, not sure.

• J_T

Posted January 12, 2005 - 08:44 PM

I've heard that a spray paint called Krylon Fusion
Krylon Web site there are a good number of people that have had good results but you have to do a good number of light coats and let it cure but they claim it works real well...

It'll show color beneith deep scratches obviously but you can always touch it up if they are real bad!

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.