Fork seals?

6 replies to this topic
  • GixxerBitch

Posted January 10, 2005 - 03:06 PM

Should I use genuine Yam seals or is there something else better on the market?

I'm learning about this bike pretty fast now. Just checked my swing arm and rub block, they're looking pretty bad, gonna try some of these mods I've been reading about and pretty quickly too!

Cheers.

• Gadsen

Posted January 10, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Been there, done it plenty of times on my old WR426. Had horrible luck with aftermarket seals. Best luck with OE seals. IMHO, OE is good stuff and the price is reasonable too!

• lewichris

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:36 PM

Been there, done it plenty of times on my old WR426. Had horrible luck with aftermarket seals. Best luck with OE seals. IMHO, OE is good stuff and the price is reasonable too!

I agree, OEM seals have been the best for me so far.

Chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ckulzer

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:09 AM

Always remember to greese the seal wiper per the manual. I have gone 900 miles of mud and sand without a seal failure but I apply grease often.

Also bleed the air out of the forks with the front wheel off the ground before every ride.

Ride fast -take chances.

Chad

• KaBooM

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:36 AM

I agree. Aftermarket OEM seals are just licensed molds from other manufatures (NOK, Athena).

Here is a couple reasons OEM and aftermarket OEM (copies)seals have.
1. They have a two lip design= Bridging, meaning, dirt gets trapped in between the seal lips allowing water, dirt, air and oil to pass back and forth causing rapid internal ware and tear.
2. Pivoting= During the fork tube deflection, the OEM seal and DU bushing are the pivot point which take the brut force of impacts. Causing damage and rapid wear and tear to both items which leads to the problems in reason #1.

I have dedicated the last 2.5 years studying the above stated reasons plus more. I also decided to do something about it.
Everyones opinions count for this is what keeps the world turning, but it is highly recommended to research options.

Good Luck, Rob

• drewpeacock

Posted January 11, 2005 - 04:12 PM

Please help me understand what he just said. Does he have a design that is better?

• Desracer

Posted January 11, 2005 - 05:28 PM

I have seen the stock OEM seals in aftermarket bags with some amazing claims! Same seals but they were higher priced, beware!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.