04' 450 Fork Height in the triple clamp?

2 replies to this topic
  • Jetsprint2

Posted January 10, 2005 - 12:25 PM

I want to know how far you can slide the forks up in the triple clamps on the 04' 450? I have the top of my forks 5mm above the top clamp right now, stock was dead even, top of the forks were flush with top triple clamp as specified in the manual. I have since tested the lower 5mm setup and really like it. The 04' Kayaba forks have a larger diameter at the top of the fork about 2 and 1/2 inches of the top than the rest of the fork. If I slide my forks up any further from my 5mm setup my top triple clamp will cover the large diameter of the fork and some of the smaller diameter of the fork. Is this OK to do, if so how far can I go? I saw a photo of Doug Dubach's 04' 450 in MXA and noticed that his forks were at least 8mm to 10mm up the triple clamps, you couldn't see the transition of the diameter in the fork it was covered up by the top clamp. He did have applied triple clamps and mine are stock. The forks on his bike look like the stockers (as mine are). Plese give me some insight on this subject.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • condog_aus

Posted January 10, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Mine came with 5mm out. I set sag the stock springs are correct for me and ive plaved with the clickers to get the stock valving the best ti can be. But i find that running without a steering damper there is too much high spped headshake so ive gone back to flush. If i was riding a slower tighter track id for sure be trying 5mm or even 1cm.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Obviously, as soon as you run the forks up higher than the point where they have full contact with the clamps, the ability of the clamp to hold the fork is reduced. I suppose one could argue that Yamaha has over-engineered the clamp to the point where a certain amount of this could be tolerated, but...

If you decide to try it, mark the fork tubes so you can see if they move. Unless your bars are in a totally non-standard position, the tube would run into the bar before it came all the way out...you would think.

I run mine up a bit, and I like the way it steers a little better, pushes a little less. As Condog says, the trade-off is a little less stability at speed. I didn't notice too much change there, though. As he also mentioned, if your rear sag is set too low, you can't really run the forks up enough to compensate, so start there. Then check the front sag, too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.