Top End Maintenance (MX) intervals?

4 replies to this topic
  • LeeBoy

Posted January 10, 2005 - 05:25 AM

I recently purchased a 2001 yz426. I have been out of riding for about 10 years or so and used to ride XR's exclusively (100,200, 250 and 600) They were great bikes with only oil changes needed. I am a little apprehensive about high performance of the 426 needing a lot of work. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have to the amount of MX they have had to accomplish on their 426. Thanks.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 10, 2005 - 06:06 AM

I recently purchased a 2001 yz426. I have been out of riding for about 10 years or so and used to ride XR's exclusively (100,200, 250 and 600) They were great bikes with only oil changes needed. I am a little apprehensive about high performance of the 426 needing a lot of work. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have to the amount of MX they have had to accomplish on their 426. Thanks.

I had 5 426's prior to buying the 450. I ride MX exclusively and will tell you that the 426 is by far the most reliable of all the high performance MX specific 2000 + 4strokes - just keep the oil changed regularly the valves occasionally adjusted and a top end every season/w cam chain and it will last you a long time - normal wear will require clutches over time - if reliability is your thing this is the bike for you -

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • felony

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:00 PM

i just replaced the original crank in my 01 426,thats not bad considering how hard i ride it.i change oil every 3 rides,oil is cheap,i had to re shim mine this past summer.once you get one and start doing the maintenance,its really not that bad,it gives me a chance to go play in the garage,away from the wife..lol

• Harty

Posted April 13, 2005 - 01:08 AM

Good to read all this about the 426...I've been chewing the fat on the maintenance issue for a while. You only ever hear the bad stories...quite surprised how many people are going back to 2 smokes, but they tend to MX'ers. I'm guessing for your average trail riding hack who has a choice between a 2 and 4 stroke (MXer), they will pick the 4 every time if they read the above comments.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 13, 2005 - 01:12 AM

I bought the '01 YZ426 new and still race it in MX exclusively. It is the most reliable bike i've ever had.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.