What exhaust system do you use?

76 replies to this topic
  • Atlasrider

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Is there much of a weight difference between a stock YZ and a WR exhaust. I ride with an 04 WR uncorked. I also have a Pro Moto Billet insert in case I ride somewhere that requires 96db. Not to thrilled with the performance of the insert. I even drilled a few extra holes in it to open it up a little more. Didn't help much. It sucks riding with it.

I must ride in different areas of Utah than you guys. I've talked with BLM rangers out on the trails and they never said a word about the noise. What I thought most of the environmental groups are offended by, is off-roaders riding in WSA's or wetlands.
Not to mention the oil and gas exploration planned for primitive or archaeological areas.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 17, 2005 - 08:56 AM

Kincade, First off I never tried to lecture you and I am not going to waste my time replying to half of your garbage,: you asked if you were the only person running the Q muffler? It pretty much looks that way to me.
You thought that using the Q would be more of a popular option... why would you think that when there are other manufactures who produce a higher quality product that fall within the sound limits for as much or less than the cost of a Q series pipe? IMO FMF has a real quality issue and there engineering leaves something to be disired.
you live in Utah and I live in California, the two states couldn't be more different from one another.
We have lost local riding areas to increased building of homes, and the increase of OHV riders in the past 5-8 years, these PITA type freaks want nothing more in this world than to end your sport and if you want to hang head and or kiss their ass's because you think that being nice to them is gonna make them come around to seeing things our way, then your High.
if you have lost land in Utah because of loud motorcycle exhaust then name the riding area lost, I cant name one single OHV area lost in California to excessive noise.
The local government has made regulations to cover excessive noise and if you don't obey the law you get a ticket period.

If you don't want my input then fine don't listen to it.

• Gadsen

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:07 AM

Hey Alabama, where do ya get a PC4 for 235 bones? Is that new or used?

Highmark1, I found them on the net for $232, bu they were out of stock. I bought one for $242 from Rocky Mt ATV/MC, they were in stock! Good value is right. The quiet core insert was an additional $30

• thumper_dad

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:22 AM

thats a great price!

• Grandville

Posted January 17, 2005 - 10:48 AM

Anybody else out there in thumpertalk land use the Pro Circuit T-4 with the "quite Tip" ?

The rep from Pro Circuit said that it meets the 96db level, but it seems kind of loud to me. I have never had it checked or expect the need to do so. Has anyone had their T-4 db level checked? My riding friend's have complained about my noise level when we ride stealth. I sure can't complain about T-4's performance. It is very impressive. Thats why I want to keep it.

I just wish factories would offer some more quite tip options for their tunable tips.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 17, 2005 - 11:57 AM

We all know what the problem is: Flow = Performance and nobody yet has been able to perfect a system that performs above and beyond the stock system and is still as quite as the stocker.

Not to mention some people (Including me) like the meaty sound of bike.

• Corky43

Posted January 31, 2005 - 02:58 PM

[size=2]I am new to TT forum, so please excuse my ignorence. I have read this thread hoping to have my question answered regarding noise levels.

Does anyone have evidence that a certain pipe (aftermarket or stock) does comply with the 96db requirement in PRK. What I mean by evidence is, were they tested by a ranger at a riding site? I bought my 04’ WR450F from a guy who already had a pipe on it. I want to comply with the 96db requirement and I was told by a ranger at Hungary Valley, that my Dubach with insert was too loud. He did not have a meter on him at the time so he did not site me, but I suspect he is correct because I was louder than other bikes.

Thanks!

[/size]

• DesertWR

Posted January 31, 2005 - 03:42 PM

[size=2]I am new to TT forum, so please excuse my ignorence. I have read this thread hoping to have my question answered regarding noise levels.

Does anyone have evidence that a certain pipe (aftermarket or stock) does comply with the 96db requirement in PRK. What I mean by evidence is, were they tested by a ranger at a riding site? I bought my 04’ WR450F from a guy who already had a pipe on it. I want to comply with the 96db requirement and I was told by a ranger at Hungary Valley, that my Dubach with insert was too loud. He did not have a meter on him at the time so he did not site me, but I suspect he is correct because I was louder than other bikes.

Thanks!

[/size]

I run the White Bros E2 pipe. With the spark arrestor it will pass the 96db. Hungry Valley is tough to ride because rangers are everywhere-Most of the time they are concerned about registration and spark arrestors (and drinking too).:cry:

• new2fourstrokes

Posted February 02, 2005 - 03:17 AM

ok everyone after i've read all this, there is still no answer out there. has anyone tested what pipe makes the most power, and stays under 96db. i think from what i can read, is the yzf450 pipe is the best value??:cry: i've done all the free mods still want that little more... only had 2 strokes all my life, big big change...

• elton

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:19 AM

ok everyone after i've read all this, there is still no answer out there. has anyone tested what pipe makes the most power, and stays under 96db. i think from what i can read, is the yzf450 pipe is the best value??:cry: i've done all the free mods still want that little more... only had 2 strokes all my life, big big change...

I'm confused also on the pipe issue; there does not appear to be a clear choice -- thus, I'll try a promobillet insert vs. the stock exhaust w/the uncorked silencer that I'm running now.

I'm also used to 2-stroke mx bikes; the 05_WR is my first 4-stroke. Initially I thought I wanted more of a low-end hit, but found that I needed to use the extra throttle gained by the shortened throttle-stop, as the WR's revs increase I find I get a awsome 2-stroke like hit that keeps on building lots of power -- a "high-speed 2-stroke like hit" by altering my riding style.

I guess you could do the yz cam mod if you wanted a earlier hit; also hear that removing the AIS helps throttle response.

Elton

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wantmorepower

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:11 AM

I've seen that a Pro Circuit Type 496 would be a good choice. Big Gun pipes do good job and look and meets the 96 dba requirement. However the price is about 500+. Thats a little more than I want to spend. The Type 496 looks cool also, kinda gives it that 4-stroke MX look and sound that I like. With the Pro Circuit installed, you'll get something like 48-50 horsepower after adequate jetting.

• elton

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Every time I google an exhaust or exhaust component, it says for 2004 or older -- have yet to see one specified for a 2005 WR.

Also (I must ask) are 3rd party exhausts "REALLY" worth $500 - $800 over the stock exhaust with the restrictive baffle removed from the silencer? If so, in what way; lower noise or significantly more power or both? I get the impression that these $$ exhausts are loud and offer only a slight performance gain (and IMO, don't look as good -- a sort of "bubba'ed up" look :cry: )

Elton

• DesertWR

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:28 AM

Every time I google an exhaust or exhaust component, it says for 2004 or older -- have yet to see one specified for a 2005 WR.

Also (I must ask) are 3rd party exhausts "REALLY" worth $500 - $800 over the stock exhaust with the restrictive baffle removed from the silencer? If so, in what way; lower noise or significantly more power or both? I get the impression that these $$ exhausts are loud and offer only a slight performance gain (and IMO, don't look as good -- a sort of "bubba'ed up" look :cry: )

Elton

White Bros E2 for the 2005 WR 450. $389.00. Great Pipe:thumbsup:

• atomictom

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:47 AM

I'm using the FMF system; Tit Power B. and reg "Q". I had the factory set-up with baffle out, too noisy, not anywhere near as much hit as the system I just mentioned. I'm Happy:) :cry:

• joshbeene

Posted February 02, 2005 - 04:48 PM

I have an 05 WR 450 with the FMF Q Seriers and rejetted with the JD jets and it rips.

• Yamadog 450

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:10 PM

I have a 05, WR 450, I removed the Snorkle in Airbox, and pulled the small Baffle out of tip of Pipe. I am trying not to have to buy an aftermarket pipe right now. I have 75 miles on it. After doing changes the bike is faster, however, seems much leaner, do I need to jet? Is there a chance that I made it too lean? should I redo one or the other? Can I get away with a 100 mile weekend this week? Any Sugestions? Hello Help

• Yamadog 450

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Also, I read that Motercycle USA did a test on the 05 WR with the Baffle(joke) pulled out and it ran at 96db, before I took it out it was popping like a two-stroke coming down hills. Dog

• JRAMBO

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:29 PM

:cry: :cry: I run the white bros. everything including the quiet core with a pro meg.It runs great jetted it.Starts great runs great LOVE IT :cry: :cry:

• elton

Posted February 03, 2005 - 08:31 AM

White Bros E2 for the 2005 WR 450. $389.00. Great Pipe:thumbsup:

Please give me a URL to someone who as it for a 2005; when I google it, every online store (including the store here) has it for 2004 or earlier.

Elton

• bushman06

Posted February 03, 2005 - 03:23 PM

I have been in the same dilemma about what exhaust to use after I have done all the free mods.

From my research on the net, TT and talking with my local dealer/parts dept it came down to the FMF Q series and the Yoshimura TRC pipe. The TRC is a new pipe this year from Yosh and is supposed to be better than the RS-3 with the tech kit. It comes stock at 96db and then you can reduce it even more to 93db I believe. It looks cool and you can either get an aluminum one for $350 or carbon fiber for $375. They will not have have any in stock for the WR for 2 weeks, but I like it more than the FMF Q and will most likely go with that one.

Hope this helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.