What exhaust system do you use?

76 replies to this topic
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:25 AM

sounds beefy, and offers the greatest power increase.

thanks

I think we'd all like to find a 96 db pipe with these qualities. Please let us know if you do.:cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:34 AM

I think we'd all like to find a 96 db pipe with these qualities. Please let us know if you do.:cry:

My Yoshimura RS3 Comp qualifies the 96db but and heres the but only with the TEC 94db quite kit installed.

Good Luck

• RichBaker

Posted January 12, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Stock........

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:44 PM

OK, as I reported earlier, I orderd a Powercore4 from FMF with the spark arrestor (SA). Well, last Monday, I installed it and I have to say it is a bit noisy. I'd guess its about 96db, maybe a smidge more. I did receive my FMF quiet core insert for it yesterday. Hopefully, this will drop it down below the 96. Also, after first starting it up, the thing was shooting out all kinds of sparks, right past the screen! I assume this was just lose packing or metal bits buring up, and it did quit after about 5 minutes of blipping the throttle. I will report back with a sound report after the quiet core insert is installed.

• AkRider

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I run the Dr D system and like it a lot. Big weight savings over stock and not to loud.:cry:

• Alabama_Rider

Posted January 13, 2005 - 12:54 AM

FMF Powercore 4 S|A is best for the money... $235

• WR450_in_Turkey

Posted January 13, 2005 - 04:56 AM

Powercore 4 with quiet insert :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 13, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I had a Power Core 4 and got caught by the rangers for a sound test and blurted out a 105db, I called FMF racing to complain because they said in an advertisement that it ran about 98db and they sold me the quite core insert AND they told me in order to make it 96db I had to install packing for the Q series muffler.

after i replaced the packing and installed the quite core kit it rang out 99db.

This was on my 04 YZF450.

Take for what its worth but FMF is alot louder than what they claim it to be. I have the factory 4 systems on 3 other bikes and I am disappointed with the noise level.

• SuperRat

Posted January 13, 2005 - 12:08 PM

I have run both the White Bros E and the FMF Q (all with the power bomb header) on my YZ400 (E is "retired") and just run the Q on the WR450. The E works and mounts much better, but is WAY too loud! I have had the Qs tested and have always beat the tests. These bikes have so much power (stock) that only an exceptional rider can use all the power on tap. We should all look at noise first and power increases second! Just a thought for FMF if your listening, change the micky mouse mounting method, look to the White Bros mounting method, the pipe remains "rubber mounted". I know that FMF has that crappy rubber insert but when torqued down the pipe is very rigid (just a matter of time till cracks come).:cry:

• highmark1

Posted January 13, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hey Alabama, where do ya get a PC4 for 235 bones? Is that new or used?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mattheww

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I have the White Brothers E2 silencer and it seems pretty quiet to me. If you uncork it though, it's louder than the uncorked stock silencer.

• kincade

Posted January 13, 2005 - 11:20 PM

Man, only one person in this whole thread is running the FMF 'Q' pipe? I thought that would be a more popular option??? Is there a reason for that?

I guess I'm not old school enough; most of the pipes mentioned here are supposed to be pretty loud. I think pissing off other people w/ my bike is not all that great for my riding spots. But hell, I only have 25% of the spots I had 20 years ago, maybe I'm just sore about it. :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 14, 2005 - 06:05 AM

Here's a fact for you, the law says 96db that means your pipe can legally omit 96db from your exhaust, if your Q is not 96db and is only lets say 94db, that doesn't mean that people who choose not to use the Q (Which IMHO is the worst piece of crap on the market) are the reasons that land is being taken away from us at a record pace.

I don't give a rats ass about pissing other people as long as I am in complaint with the law and I respect the land in which i inhabit. I am a life time member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition and the AMA, I have donated personal time and money to help the BLM maintain and enhance the forest area in my state.
Maybe the only reason you have 25% of the riding spots you had 20 years ago are because of the damn greenies who want nothing more than to eliminate our sport all together, increased population (more homes), increased interest in our sport (More Bikes and ATVs). I cant imagine who knows and cares more about the land than the dirt bike riders who actually use it.
the sound limit law has not been around for 20 years infact it has only been implemented the last few years.
give people enough tickets and DQ them from enough local race's for excessive noise and they will wise up quickly.

I'm sure your "old school" enough to know better than to point the finger before looking in the mirror.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 14, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Maybe the only reason you have 25% of the riding spots you had 20 years ago are because of the damn greenies who want nothing more than to eliminate our sport all together, increased population (more homes), increased interest in our sport (More Bikes and ATVs). I cant imagine who knows and cares more about the land than the dirt bike riders who actually use it....

You'd be suprised at how much land is lost just because of compliacancy (sp?) on off roaders part, and not being registered to vote, not writing their congressman, attending rallys, noy joining orginazations to preserve ridinh habitiat etc.

• kincade

Posted January 14, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the oh-so-generous education DAD! If you'll step off your high horse for a moment you might try answering my question instead of lecturing someone who isn't interested in hearing your diatribe (and coincidentally enough, IS ON THE SAME SIDE AS YOU!!!!!!!!!!).

My question was "Man, only one person in this whole thread is running the FMF 'Q' pipe? I thought that would be a more popular option??? Is there a reason for that?" That was a legitimate question. Did you answer it? Nope.

What you DID do is choose to lecture someone know know absolutely nothing about and insinuate that I should look to you for all the answers because you donate money and time.

Ok, let's go with that. You say "I don't give a rats ass about pissing other people as long as I am in complaint with the law and I respect the land in which i inhabit."

Try for a moment to understand my logic. In many states, and especially in urban areas with tremendous voting power, we represent the MINORITY of voters; and instead of trying to get along with the other non-motorized users of the land and educate them on the merits of our sport, you choose to show them our most obnoxious side. Does that make sense?

You said "Maybe the only reason you have 25% of the riding spots you had 20 years ago are because of the damn greenies who want nothing more than to eliminate our sport all together,"

Maybe. And maybe you are giving them great ammunition to use against all of us. Watched the news or read the paper lately? They LOVE those clips and stories of a rider running uncorked in a campground or adjacent to a WSA. PERFECT ammunition to use against us.

Robert MacNamara, someone who I believe has had much more experience in conflict than you, suggested that in a conflict we should attempt to understand and empathize with the enemy so that we may come to know how they might attack you and what course of action they might take.

Do me a favor; get off your soapbox and go to ONE meeting of SUWA, Sierra club, or other 'greenie' group; and watch what ammunition they're using against motorized sports. And then tell me that we should not 'give a rats ass' about the other users around us.

Here's a fact for you, the law says 96db that means your pipe can legally omit 96db from your exhaust, if your Q is not 96db and is only lets say 94db, that doesn't mean that people who choose not to use the Q (Which IMHO is the worst piece of crap on the market) are the reasons that land is being taken away from us at a record pace.

I don't give a rats ass about pissing other people as long as I am in complaint with the law and I respect the land in which i inhabit. I am a life time member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition and the AMA, I have donated personal time and money to help the BLM maintain and enhance the forest area in my state.
Maybe the only reason you have 25% of the riding spots you had 20 years ago are because of the damn greenies who want nothing more than to eliminate our sport all together, increased population (more homes), increased interest in our sport (More Bikes and ATVs). I cant imagine who knows and cares more about the land than the dirt bike riders who actually use it.
the sound limit law has not been around for 20 years infact it has only been implemented the last few years.
give people enough tickets and DQ them from enough local race's for excessive noise and they will wise up quickly.

I'm sure your "old school" enough to know better than to point the finger before looking in the mirror.

• 450_James

Posted January 14, 2005 - 10:40 PM

Ok.

If everyone who posts here were compliant (which most are) would the greens be happy?

Seems like it's 96db now and soon it will be 86db. The green's don't want riders at all so they make rules that are increasingly more and more difficult to follow then close the land.

They won't be happy then either. Pretty soon they're gonna point that sound meter at your arse and tell ya how loud you can cut one.

• kincade

Posted January 15, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Ok.

If everyone who posts here were compliant (which most are) would the greens be happy?

Seems like it's 96db now and soon it will be 86db. The green's don't want riders at all so they make rules that are increasingly more and more difficult to follow then close the land.

They won't be happy then either. Pretty soon they're gonna point that sound meter at your arse and tell ya how loud you can cut one.

I didn't say that we should bend over and do whatever is asked of us. My point is that being considerate of others around us that may not have the same hobbies will not hurt our cause, only help it.

• bke

Posted January 15, 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hundreds of 03, 04, and 05 YZ exhaust systems have been removed when aftermarket systems are installed. All those years fit the 05 WR450. Look for one on the WEB. They are reasonably quiet in the lower throttle settings, and can be fitted with a custom end cap to be spark arrestor legal. It will add greatly to performance when the jetting is adjusted to freer flowng exhaust.

• 450_James

Posted January 16, 2005 - 10:56 PM

I didn't say that we should bend over and do whatever is asked of us. My point is that being considerate of others around us that may not have the same hobbies will not hurt our cause, only help it.

Oh I agree with that. In fact dirt bike riders are overall the most considerate people I've ever met. But they were that way before a noise level law or a green sticker applied. We are the good guys, we are the ones who care about the land so we can continue to use, and enjoy it.

I think the green's need the lesson in consideration of others. We're doing fine.

More than my $0.02. I'm done. You can have your pedestal back now. :cry:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 17, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I like my stock exhaust on my 04 WR450!

Dittos. Now I did replace it with the FMF, but I did keep my original and wont part with it. There may be a time I need to be real stealthy and way below the required 96db for public lands.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.