XR650r engine knocking noise

14 replies to this topic
  • Ian_FE501

Posted January 09, 2005 - 09:21 PM

[size=2]Hi,

I am concerned about a knocking type of noise (piston slap?) that is most noticeable at about 60 kph with a slightly open throttle, the noise is not there when the throttle is closed and not really noticeable when revving. The noise has been there since new and I'm wondering if it is normal or something I should get the dealer to check out while still in warranty.

Thanks,
Ian
[/size]

• roadcam

Posted January 09, 2005 - 09:24 PM

lock the brakes, gradually let the clutch out ... a loose rod big end will get notieably louder, and easier to pinpoint as a load is applied to the engine like that ..

• Moredesert

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:03 PM

You said the noise was there when you got the bike new right? My bike made so much noise when I got it I had to make a mental note that it's load. My XR600 started making noise 1 year after I bought the bike and thought something was wrong. I ran the piss out of it for 20K miles before I rebuilt it and never blow up. On the 600 I noticed the knock was from the slop in the counter ballance gears driven off the crank. This did not effect anything and the bike ran strong. When I bought my 650 the noise it made was 2 times louder so I just listened to it and told myself thats the way it is. When I have the helmet off and hear the thing knocking real loud I just remember what I said the first day I bought the bike. It's damn loud:excuseme:

• roadcam

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:30 PM

it would probably be a good idea to have your dealer's mechanic check it out ,( and document it ) , in case later on you need the warranty to handle a problem

• captb

Posted January 10, 2005 - 07:01 PM

All of the engine I've had with balacers have made noise, my Blackbird is quiet but they are adjustable and the engine has fairings and insulation, the (4)XR600Rs I had were not as noisy as my XR650R but they had no frame/engine guard to reflect the noise upward, I removed the guard and lined it with 1 inch thick dense foam, much quieter.

• jmxr250r

Posted January 10, 2005 - 07:11 PM

That knocking noise is caused by having too many links in the cam chain. I dont know about the 650r but on my 250 i have an automatic cam chain teninsior. After awhile that teninsior stopped working and didnt tighten the cam chain anymore. Soon the cam chain will have too many links. This will then lead to off timing and then the improper timing of valves. Next the valves will begin to carbon up then they will not be able to close. This will lead to bending of the intake vavles. I would suggest taking the bike to a proper mechanics and having them take a look at the valves and timing. Most of this can be prevented by proper sdjustin gof the valves and retuine checks of the piston. If this is not prevented it will cost around $1500 to replace all parts and labor. Good Luck!

--------
1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier
plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, automatic decompression, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

• qadsan

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:14 PM

That knocking noise is caused by having too many links in the cam chain. I dont know about the 650r but on my 250 i have an automatic cam chain teninsior. After awhile that teninsior stopped working...

That's some good food for thought. That auto cam chain tensioner is a sore spot in my opinion and it actually stretches the chain and sometimes stops working as in your case. I wish there was a manual cam chain tensioner available as that would likely extend the life of the cam chain if properly adjusted. I think for anybody that rides a lot of hard miles every year, it might be a wise idea to replace the cam chain yearly as preventative maintenance or at least inspect it for wear/stretch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Do not take your bike back to the dealer, there is nothing wrong. The 650R engine is noisy like that, mine makes the same noises. I researched this topic in depth a few years ago when I got the bike, and it's normal. Probably a combination of cam chain noise and a little piston slap, which may be amplified through the aluminum frame.
Nothing to worry about, keep the oil changed, keep the air filter clean, and ride it. If the engine noises are annoying, add a louder pipe so you can't hear the engine noise. When my bike was new, and stock, with a very quiet exhaust, the engine made several different clicking, ticking, and knocking sounds, at various rpms.
Honestly it took me a few months to convince myself that there was nothing wrong with the bike, and many hours of searching the web for answers. But my bike has well over 6000 miles on it now, and I've been riding it for what, 4 years or so, and the engine is just as strong as it ever was, and has never been apart. I still does not smoke or use oil beyond the normal consumption between changes.
Also my KX500, which of course is a 2-stroke, makes horrible and loud knocking noises as if the crank bearing or connecting rod are about to come apart. But it's nothing, it's normal, its the Kips system rattling around (exhaust valve slider).

• Moredesert

Posted January 11, 2005 - 01:14 PM

The problem with the XR650R is the piston skirt is very short and the cylinder walls are thin. If you were to look at the cylinder off the bike you will find very little wall thickness and a small water passage. Were only talking about maybe 1/2" between the piston and the outside of the cylinder. With this type of engine your going to here everything. If you put a aluminum skid plate on it will amplify the noise even more. When I added a 436 kit to my DRZ the piston had even less skirt than stock. The bike is almost louder than the XR. Just get a louder pipe and ride it:thumbsup:

• don87xr600

Posted January 11, 2005 - 02:00 PM

That knocking noise is caused by having too many links in the cam chain. I dont know about the 650r but on my 250 i have an automatic cam chain teninsior. After awhile that teninsior stopped working and didnt tighten the cam chain anymore. Soon the cam chain will have too many links. This will then lead to off timing and then the improper timing of valves. Next the valves will begin to carbon up then they will not be able to close. This will lead to bending of the intake vavles. I would suggest taking the bike to a proper mechanics and having them take a look at the valves and timing. Most of this can be prevented by proper sdjustin gof the valves and retuine checks of the piston. If this is not prevented it will cost around $1500 to replace all parts and labor. Good Luck!

--------
plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, automatic decompression, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

How does the cam chain pick up more links? Is it a magic trick?

• Ian_FE501

Posted January 11, 2005 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the info fellas, sounds like all is normal with the bike.

• jmxr250r

Posted January 11, 2005 - 04:49 PM

How does the cam chain pick up more links? Is it a magic trick?

The same excat way your regular drive chain does :cry:

--------

1961 Honda 90

• smashinz2002

Posted January 11, 2005 - 08:52 PM

Yeah dude it's normal no worries :cry:

• Miker

Posted January 11, 2005 - 11:29 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: [quote name='jmxr250r']That knocking noise is caused by having too many links in the cam chain. I dont know about the 650r but on my 250 i have an automatic cam chain teninsior. After awhile that teninsior stopped working and didnt tighten the cam chain anymore. Soon the cam chain will have too many links. This will then lead to off timing and then the improper timing of valves. Next the valves will begin to carbon up then they will not be able to close. This will lead to bending of the intake vavles. I would suggest taking the bike to a proper mechanics and having them take a look at the valves and timing. Most of this can be prevented by proper sdjustin gof the valves and retuine checks of the piston. If this is not prevented it will cost around $1500 to replace all parts and labor. Good Luck!

Were all Gonna die!!

• Husky_Forever

Posted January 11, 2005 - 11:53 PM

I'd worry more about when your right hand footpeg is going to break off and not engine noise. My 650 made that noise too, just rode it and got used to it. The footpeg breaking off was another story.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.