05 WR 450 Exhaust Plug

12 replies to this topic
  • JDube

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:54 PM

Anybody know about the so-called exhaust plug? Does it exist? and how can I remove my-self? any idea's?

• WheelsUp

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:58 PM

Take out the six 5mm bolts that hold the conical cover on the end of the can (the ones on the very top and bottom are pop rivets, leave them alone).
Look at the bent pipe... it'll have a pop rivet on each side. Drill those out and pull the insert out. Put the cover back on and you're done.

• Brian M

Posted January 09, 2005 - 10:16 PM

When I did mine, I just removed the whole insert and just left the spark arrestor in place. No problems so far. Seen other threads where others did the same.

Brian

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 10, 2005 - 07:06 AM

I modified the insert with a larger pipe. Still real quiet. With the insert completely removed it's TOO DAMN LOUD. Jim

• JDube

Posted January 10, 2005 - 08:58 AM

Thanks to all of you, can't wait to try it.

JDube
:cry: :cry:

Take out the six 5mm bolts that hold the conical cover on the end of the can (the ones on the very top and bottom are pop rivets, leave them alone).
Look at the bent pipe... it'll have a pop rivet on each side. Drill those out and pull the insert out. Put the cover back on and you're done.

• skeener2

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:06 AM

I tried drilling the rivits myself. Damned inner piece still didn't come out. Maybe I'mm a drill idiot...but I tried with needlenosed pliers and it didn't budge. I don't mind it being quite for now....stealth mode...really! But soon enough I'll get around to the jet kit & pipe. One of these days. Gotta send off the suspension to have it done first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper_dad

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:19 AM

I just removed the whole damn plug from the end, after getting it back together I fired it up and listened to what amounted to be the crappiest sounding bike I had ever heard.
the remedy was a $275 Yoshimura RS3 Comp. Slip on, the difference is unbelievable, the bike has come alive like I couldn't imagined.

JD Jet kit is on the way, IMS tank and Acrebis Roost Guards went on this weekend, as long as it keeps raining the *Bling* keeps coming. :cry:

If you can afford it, get the Yosh pipe, after running it I would recommend it to anyone.

Good Luck

Rich

• JDube

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:26 PM

Hey Skeener2,

I just decided to go out to the garage and do the deed rain or not:thumbsup: . New 450 not on dirt yet(local weather). Anyways, I yanked the airbox in-take(insert w/ 2-square holes) what a B!?(# that was, only took 15-minutes, but holly cr@p. Than began to remove the exhaust plug, removed the 6-screws from the outer cone, removed the 4-screws from the insert, put it on the bench and drilled out the rivits. Ya, the darn thing was a little difficult, but the trick was to use a screwdriver from the opposite side and ram if into the bench. Popped right out!. Didn't change the Db much at all. 15-minutes, the next thing was to fix the hard start by raising the idle screw just a skosh, 1-minute, Total time in all actually ripping down and re-installing covers, seat, etc. aprx. 1-hour. Seems to start easier and just a little better throttle responce. Lots more mods to go, several weeks to the first ridding trip in Stodder Wells, Barstow, CA. Good luck and have fun.:cry: :cry: :cry:

JDube

I tried drilling the rivits myself. Damned inner piece still didn't come out. Maybe I'mm a drill idiot...but I tried with needlenosed pliers and it didn't budge. I don't mind it being quite for now....stealth mode...really! But soon enough I'll get around to the jet kit & pipe. One of these days. Gotta send off the suspension to have it done first.

• JDube

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Wheelsup,

U DA MAN! worked like a charm. I did the plug, the airbox intake and the idle screw. So far for only starting in the garage, maybe a little better. I'll never know because I haven't ridden yet(new "Big Blue" owner). So Cal weather sucks!:cry:

• WheelsUp

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:37 PM

Anyways, I yanked the airbox in-take(insert w/ 2-square holes) what a B!?

While the seat was off you shoulda' pulled the tank and disconnected the grey wire.

That'll give you some actual power in 5th :cry:

• JDube

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Ya, starting getting late, start work @ 6am in west LA. So the next thing to do is the grey wire, what do you think of the readilly accessible grey wire handle bar switch? YZ-WR/WR-YZ. I haven't rode in aprx. 20-years. last bike was 85 YZ 125. Old Dude Pushing 39. So this bike seems like a rocket and I only did these few items.:cry:

thx, JDube

While the seat was off you shoulda' pulled the tank and disconnected the grey wire.

That'll give you some actual power in 5th :cry:

• WheelsUp

Posted January 10, 2005 - 11:30 PM

what do you think of the readilly accessible grey wire handle bar switch?

I don't see a need for it. It's not like a cam where it shifts your peak power or anything. If anything, the difference I noticed is before you could wind it out in 4th, pop into 5th, and it would fall on it's face... it simply would not go any faster.
After the mods, it feels like it'll easily pull to the rated 85mph.

Cutting the wire does not hurt the bottom end.

• breezeblocker

Posted January 13, 2005 - 07:45 PM

hey dube,stop farting around with that bike and go ride it...:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.