Can I Lower the seat height?

14 replies to this topic
  • Eliems

Posted January 09, 2005 - 06:54 PM

My new 04 WR450 at 39 inches is a stretch even for me and I am 6'2", 200 lbs. I am old school (pushing 50) and I like to put my feet down when things get hairy!

My son ended up with a wr250 lowered to 36 inches, seems like the previous owner loosened the fork clamps and dropped the front end an inch, but where did the other two inches come from? Does the rear monoshock adjust down somehow?

Do people shave the seat down? (A suggestion at the Yamaha shop).

Would there be much of a compromise in performance and handling to do this? i understand the 05 has a 36" seat height.

Thanks

• jasilva

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:36 PM

You'll need to lower the rear also or you'll lose some straight line stability. I removed the seat cover and cut my seat down an inch with a hacksaw blade and then sanded it smooth and replaced the cover. Worked great I can sit almost flat footed now and can kickstart it without putting it on the stand.

Joe

• WRider995

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:42 PM

At your ht and wt, don't worry. It's going to settle as it breaks in, I promise. Don't shave the seat. If you do, order new seat foam when you do it because later you'll want to go back to the unshaved foam.

my .02

• Treebanger

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:05 AM

5mm at subframe supports lower"s the seat 1" at the Highest point

1" at seat shaved

3/8 @ the triple tree Match rear to keep the weight basis equal

You will enjoy this bike

Over fifty expert 5'-6" 30" Inseam the 04 motor and gearing is to die for its a great bike.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:52 AM

How about the 05 seat? It looks a bit thinner... :cry:

• robertt

Posted January 10, 2005 - 03:01 PM

I'm thinking of shaving the foam also. I have an 03 wr450. But as mentioned earlier, I'm a little worried I won't like it. So where is the best place to get seat foam when I want to get my seat back to where it started? Is this a dealer thing?
...robert

• Treebanger

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:12 AM

[quote name='Dan_Lorenze']How about the 05 seat? It looks a bit thinner... :cry:
Dan , It's not thinner, just shaved the seat on a 05 model and lowered the subframe also . Makes a real different for the vertically handicapped.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 11, 2005 - 05:07 PM

TB, what really sold me on the 05 was the fact that it was so much shorter than the previous years, without even breaking in my bike I can touch the ground with both feet. :cry: I'm short and the one inch helps me out.. Tall guys are lucky, they could buy tall seats from a half a dozen companies..

• bike15

Posted January 18, 2005 - 07:57 PM

use a belt sander to cut down seat works great .yz450 i can now touch ground,raised fork tubes 12mm handles fine in trail or mx bike 15

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:29 PM

huh that's funny I'm 5'11 190 pounds and I have no problem getting on my 04 WR450

• Eliems

Posted January 18, 2005 - 11:50 PM

You know what is is ... these tall bikes demand higher speed in the steep rough river-bed type riding we do here on the West Coast. This requires a certain attitude of immortality not to mention padding from head to toe!

Old school is to slowly and carefully get over each rock with both feet firmly planted on the ground. Takes quite the transition!

• Robert_Brazil

Posted January 19, 2005 - 08:51 AM

yeah the seat hight is correct for someone of your highth but the rider of the original posts seeks to be able to put his feet on the ground which is not ideal from a riding perspective, but in his case is wat he wants

• Treebanger

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:13 AM

You know what is is ... these tall bikes demand higher speed in the steep rough river-bed type riding we do here on the West Coast. This requires a certain attitude of immortality not to mention padding from head to toe!

Old school is to slowly and carefully get over each rock with both feet firmly planted on the ground. Takes quite the transition!

That 39" seat height also effects cornering speed , I noticed after chopping my down that it much easily to hit a berm and hold a line. I always felt like a cork in water seated so high. Rode this past sunday , MX track . Bike handled pretty good .

• goblue-or-gohome

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:55 AM

Don't shave the seat! Lower the whole bike.

• Eliems

Posted January 19, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Now that I have had a few more rides, I am getting used to the height and as others have pointed out, the bike will settle some (1"-2"?). I just got back from blasting around the condo development land behind my place and I think I will just Be Happy!

Amazing Bike! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.