XR 650 for the trail?

9 replies to this topic
  • westernwoods

Posted January 09, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Has anyone ever trail ridden this bike? How well does it do, and what about a liquid cooled XR motor? Any feedback greatly appreciated. :cry:

• wolf_child

Posted January 09, 2005 - 06:35 PM

TC ride his 650L on the trail all the time, and he loves the fact that its sooooooo light.:cry:

• bork

Posted January 09, 2005 - 06:41 PM

I dont know about water cause I have a 94 xr600 and ride trail all the time .Love it!!! I am big and heavy guy. I would love to ride a xr400 if I were lighter.Tried a crf450 and love power but not for trail!!! It was soooo cool and fast and light!! But feel it would wear you out faster too!! I'll stick to my ole xr600.:cry:

• dirtboy

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Which one? R or L?

• BrianVT

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:46 PM

I've ridden my XR650R in tight Northeast woods for the past 2 summers.
It's street-plated and it's the best do-it-all bike I've owned.
I'm only 165 lbs. and have no complaints accept when I tried an Enduro
that was 5 hrs. of mud, roots, and rocks with no rest. If you're just going to
free-ride and will take a break every hour or so you'll love the 650.
Sadly, I'm going to have to part with mine so I can try Enduros on a light
2-smoke.
Best of luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • INJURY_69

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:55 PM

JackAttack tears up his 650 on some super tight trails/rocks.

• austin03

Posted January 09, 2005 - 08:48 PM

Adding a Reklus autoclutch would help a whole lot.:cry:
Doesn't the XR650R have a problem boiling over when ridin slow in tight woods?:cry:

• TimBrp

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:38 AM

No boil over after you "uncork" it and get it jetted up right. After that, it runs like a top. I'm with BrianVT here int he tight New England woods. However, I'm keeping my pig and have bought a lighter Xr250 for the enduros.

• frankstr

Posted January 10, 2005 - 05:15 AM

Thats all i mainly ride is trails:thumbsup: Hides its size well IMO,I'm 6'4" 220,Have the BRP sprung for my weight,You may not be able to fling it around like a 2 smoke but it makes it up in the Torque dept.,which it has a ample supply of torque:applause:
I love my ground rippin ,uncorked beast,does all what i need:cool:

• dennisthe

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Another Yankee here. I ride my pig everywhere, including the tight woods. I even tried an MX track this fall- fun but heavy. It's DS'd and uncorked, doesn't boil anymore, and could use some suspension adjustment (stock right now). Very dependable once all bolts are properly tightened. It can be a handful on long, tight rides like some Turkey Runs as its weight becomes quite evident. A smaller bike would be nice for those times but I won't get rid of my BRP. Once the trail opens up, it sure does fly.:cry: Only prob I have with it is slick roots, then I wish I had a stabilizer. I guess a pumper carb would be nice too.

Hey BrianVT, were you at Noble Woods in Berwick a few months ago?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Help with LED TURN signals by SoDakCRF

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo

Free play rear linkage by Rooster72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 22 replies
Reviews

KTM 690 Enduro R 2014 by KennTM

KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by KennTM
  • On December 16, 2014
Forums
Photo

Yamaha Recalls YZ250 Competition Off-Road Motorcycles Due to Risk of Injury, Death by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.