oil

7 replies to this topic
  • Brian M

Posted January 09, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I have an 05' WR 450. What oil do you guys recomend? I was going to use Valvoline's Dura Blend. Also what do you recomend to clean the drive chain? In the past I have always used kerosene, but I have recently read that it is not recomended for O-Ring chains. Thanks.

Brian

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 09, 2005 - 01:18 PM

Kerosene has always been OK on O-ring chains.:cry:

• cadvette

Posted January 09, 2005 - 01:34 PM

The oil you suggested using is a automotive oil. Automotive type oils are not recomended oils to be used in your bike. These oils have additives in them that reduce friction that will cause your clutch to slip. You should only use a motorcycle specific oil only in you bike. Read the manual it will tell you about this. You can get motorcycle oils in synthetic or synthetic blends or just regular oil. Go to your local bike shop and they will help you decide which oil is for your liking.

• Bamster

Posted January 09, 2005 - 02:19 PM

I"ve always used kerosene to clean my O-ring chains.:cry:

Some say to use Mobil 1 red cap, some say not.
It's always worked for me.:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted January 09, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Please use the search feature. I use red cap.

• xcracer123

Posted January 09, 2005 - 05:46 PM

Use motorcycle specific oil in your bike. For the amount the bike takes, it's worth the extra price. As far as the chain goes, I use a chain specific brush to clean mine after washing. It's called a Grunge Brush and can be ordered from White Brothers. It's only $15 and last forever. It has brushes on 3 sides to clean the whole chain at once. Then you just let the chain dry after rinsing with clean water! Afterward, I warm up the chain and apply an o-ring safe lube. Has always worked for me and I seem to have better chain life than all my riding buddy's. Just my 2 cents!

• lewichris

Posted January 10, 2005 - 05:00 PM

I"ve always used kerosene to clean my O-ring chains.:cry:

Some say to use Mobil 1 red cap, some say not.
It's always worked for me.:cry:

full synthetic, 15W-50 i believe.

• dangermouse007

Posted January 10, 2005 - 11:27 PM

Morris Semi Motocross Oil, and I always clean with Parafin and WD40.......and re Oil with Gear Oil....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.