Differences???

4 replies to this topic
  • PAULZ

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:26 AM

I am looking to buy a yamaha 450 and i am thrown between the YZF and WR. What are the main differences in the bike? Do they ride differently? What is your oppinion on what I should go for? I ride a mix of track and trails.

• SkyRyder55

Posted January 09, 2005 - 10:57 AM

what is it that you want out of the bike and how much power do you want. The WR in stock form is very underpowered compared to the yz. The WR suspension is way softer thean the yz but it is so nice on the trails. Electric start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • condog_aus

Posted January 09, 2005 - 12:08 PM

WR steel sub frame YZ Alumin = weight
WR Cam timing retarded YZ Advanced = snapier accelleration
WR Wider bigger tank YZ smaller narrower = feel and fuel range
WR Electric Start
WR Coolant overflow resevoir to capture and reuse coolant
WR 18" rear wheel YZ 19"
WR lights and blinkers
YZ bigger air filter and intake
WR silencer = stainless steel and heavier YZ = Alumin
WR suspension softer YZ = harder
Wr has heavier flywheel for stalling resistance, but reduces accelleration
WR good x ring chain YZ stock chain crap and needs replacing immediately
WR alloy bars YZ steel
Most these things are similar for 03 to 05 although there are a few titanium parts on the YZ now eg footpegs

Its eazier to YZing a WR than to WZ a YZinger

You can make your stock WR fly by de corking the muffler change throttle stop screw i carb, open up the air box and do the grey wire mod. Then you can spend a few bucks and throw a YZ or Hot Cam exhaust cam in ad lighten the flywheel.

Good luck.

• Butta

Posted January 09, 2005 - 12:22 PM

I've had WR's and YZ's, and ride trails and MX....in my opinion, get the YZ. Unless you ride at night where you need lights, the extra output from the stator (and heavier flywheel associated with it) are a waste. The upgraded suspension is nice to have on the YZ, and the extra power is always a plus. If you are running lots of high speed sections, the only drawback will be the close ratio 4-speed tranny of the YZ.....but that can be changed out. For the money, I'd get the YZ and swap trannies (if you needed the top speed boost). The WR's are heavier, underdesigned in comparison, and (in my opinion) not as versatile.

Real dirtbikes don't have batteries.......

• PAULZ

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:01 PM

ok, ok, ok.....Im think i want the yz but im gunna test the bikes before i make any decision

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.