1981 rm250

18 replies to this topic
  • TeenRider

Posted January 08, 2005 - 08:16 PM

i just scored on a 1981 suzuki rm250, the first year suzuki produced the rm250 with the monoshock. Its missing a lot of things like the carbureator, air boot, all the rear plastic, and other miscellaneous things.

would anyone be able point me to some places to find parts or just general information and specs on this bike???

what other years have interchangable parts with the 1981 model??

Or better yet would anyone here in california happen to have one that i would be able to buy as a parts bike??

Any information would be greatly appreciated :cry:

• Bultaco206

Posted January 08, 2005 - 08:40 PM

1) www.vintage-suzuki.com
2) www.vintageiron.com

• TeenRider

Posted January 08, 2005 - 09:21 PM

Thanks man :cry:

• FoxRacer220

Posted January 08, 2005 - 09:57 PM

www.denniskirk.com

• mommyrider

Posted January 08, 2005 - 10:59 PM

www.denniskirk.com

Well thats what I was going to recommend. Anyways congrates to the new project:thumbsup:

Stephanie:D

• Birdie426

Posted January 09, 2005 - 01:13 AM

Teenrider-
I have an 81 RM465. The bike is awesome, but they didn't build many so parts are really hard to find. If you're in So Cal, Cole Brothers Suzuki in North Hollywood and Larry Lilly Honda/Suzuki in Lancaster have both been great at finding stuff for me. E-bay has also been a great source of hard to find parts. Most older bikes bring far more bank to the owners if they part 'em out rather than sell them complete, so there always seems to be a good listing. As far as the chassis goes, up thu '85 should be mostly interchangable (disk brake front end from '84 up would be a good mod if you can find one...), but as far as motor, I think they went water cooled in '83, so 81 and 82 are about it. Maier Racing up in Nor Cal still makes plastic for these bikes as well. You can order direct or thru Chaparral, Rocky Mountain ATV or a dozen other on line resources. DG is about the only source for pipes, if you need one.

I think I've got an extra Clymer manual for the full floaters...pm me if you want it.

You'll love the bike. I think tthe back end of my 465 is still better than the back end on my WR426...

Birdie

• hammerofthor

Posted January 09, 2005 - 03:37 AM

mac...midwest action cycle...cheap to boot

the rm's went watercooled in 82.........

• Quigley

Posted January 09, 2005 - 04:02 AM

I used to have one of those (81 rm250) :cry:, your gonna have a blast building and then riding it, memories. :cry:

• dirtboy

Posted January 09, 2005 - 06:42 AM

Dirtbike raved about the Full Floater when it came out, and Dirtrider proclaimed the model a milestone motorcycle for that year. Should be a great bike:)

• AsahiToro

Posted January 09, 2005 - 10:46 AM

I had an 82 RM250Z w/Full Floater. That thing ripped.
http://www.geocities...oro/82rm250.jpg

Scott

• TeenRider

Posted January 09, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the info guys, ill have to get out and take a picture of it, its pretty weathered :cry:

http://www.thumperta...d=1#post1645404

Check that out

• TeenRider

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:19 PM

Anyone else have any more links or info for me???

• JohnnyOfast

Posted January 10, 2005 - 06:42 AM

You, my friend, have a lot of work ahead of you.

You will need the swap meets.

Marks:
http://www.calvmx.com/guestbook/

Vintage adds:
http://www.alp-sys.c...geads/index.php

Good luck. :cry:

• oldnbold

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:50 AM

I had an 82 RM250Z w/Full Floater. That thing ripped.
Scott

I remember cold seizing my brothers 82. It was a helluva bike but that cold seizing prob kinda sucked.

• hammerofthor

Posted January 10, 2005 - 10:09 AM

i had the 82 when i was a kid...too much bike for me then, dirt bike did a drag race with it against newer bikes and it did really well, and yea the
full floater was sweet................

• Norwegian

Posted January 10, 2005 - 11:20 AM

Get some pics up once its restored to its former beauty :cry:

• TeenRider

Posted January 10, 2005 - 02:54 PM

i dont know if i will be able to get it restored to its former beauty :cry:

• Dirtyoldmxr

Posted January 26, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I would love to find a 81 RM250. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know.

And keep plugging away on that one, the parts are out there. My 1973 Penton looked worse when I started and it is gorgeous now (18 months and a few $K later)

Good luck!

• Birdie426

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Teenrider-
It ain't that much work! Air cooled is simple and cheep (sort of). EBay has been a good source for my 465. If you need a new tank, Clarke and IMS both make a desert tank that works pretty well. DG still makes pipes for 'em. Works Performance can handle she shock if it needs more than just nitrogen. Motion Industries is a good source of bearings for swing arm, rocker, steering head, crank (mains, not rods), just be sure to bring in your old ones or get the Suzuki parts guy to research the AFBA number for you. Don't let those guys talking about a lot of work discourage you. the work is almost as much fun as the riding!

I've done this to a 465 that was in just about the same shape when i got it, so if you have questions, PM me.

Good luck.

birdie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New 500, blown motor. by Jeffijers

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  119 replies
Forums
Photo

what should i buy? 230f or 250x? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Which one is a rocket - exc 500 vs exc 300 by meivk

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ125 Carb Set Up & Service - Incl Air Screw! by beamishnz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 125/125L/250
  • Hot  31 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.