My turn signals stopped working

10 replies to this topic
  • TXBRP

Posted January 08, 2005 - 06:50 PM

:cry: I've had a Baja Designs kit on my 2001 XR650R for about a month. Got on to tool around town just now and none of my turn signals work. Everything else is fine, low beam, high beam, horn, brake light, just the dang signals. I'll take the seat off tomorrow and look for something obvious with the wiring, but I suck at electrical stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks

• sportbiker929

Posted January 08, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Flasher, or a ground. Check voltage to your flasher. Its probably a loose wire being that new. BD stuff is high quality. Where in TX do you live?
Mitch

• qadsan

Posted January 08, 2005 - 08:04 PM

The switch assy that BD used or maybe still uses doesn't impress me at all. I'd also be suspect of that, but most likely sportbiker929 nailed it with the loose wire or flasher. If you do find a problem with the switch assy, call up BD and they'll likely take care of you promply. BD customer service is generally :cry:

• don87xr600

Posted January 08, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Low battery will also cause this.

• tirebiter

Posted January 09, 2005 - 03:51 AM

You can check the flasher by unplugging the two wires on it and jumping them together. If the flasher's the problem, turn signals should come on and stay on. I replaced my flasher with an electronic 12V, 2 wire model from Kragen, so far no problems. I put a few little dabs of silicone on the new flasher, just above the rubber hoop that holds it- keep it from sliding down during hard riding. Believe me, it will...

I'm currently on my third switch assy since March. BD has sent me new ones, no questions, no cost! GREAT folks. They know there's a problem with it and informed me they are getting a new vendor for the switch unit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TXBRP

Posted January 09, 2005 - 05:36 AM

Flasher, or a ground. Check voltage to your flasher. Its probably a loose wire being that new. BD stuff is high quality. Where in TX do you live?
Mitch

I Live in Lake Jackson, south of Houston.

• sportbiker929

Posted January 09, 2005 - 09:01 AM

cool, Have fun. I live in Ft Worth

• TXBRP

Posted January 09, 2005 - 12:58 PM

Yep, took the two lights off the flasher and touched them together and the signals come on solid. Is there a flasher I can get at the auto parts store that will work so I can get back on the road faster?

• tirebiter

Posted January 09, 2005 - 05:50 PM

The main thing you have to make sure of is the flasher's 12 volt dc, and has 2 pins. I found one at my local autoparts (Kragen) that's electronic and will work on any application, it's been working fine for the last 6 months. A little more expensive, but worth it. Take your old flasher to the store to make sure the new one's the same physical size.
Make sure the pins are facing down when re-installing the flasher, keeps the water out. That rubber loop BD provides will eventually rip apart if you ride hard, I backed the whole mounting system up with some zip ties to keep it together.

• sportbiker929

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I used one of those mechanical flashers from auto zone. Just pick up a two plug one and install it. The mechanical ones are much more durable.

Mitch

• don87xr600

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:57 PM

At autozone autoparts I picked up a flasher same as the Baja Designs, it's model # EL 12 for about half the BD price.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.