04 yz450 or 05 yz450

19 replies to this topic
  • FireMunkie23

Posted January 07, 2005 - 11:50 AM

should i go with the 04 or the 05.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 07, 2005 - 12:09 PM

I own an 04' and love the engine and the way it handles. :cry: I have not been on an 05' yet but I hear the engine is mellowed out a bit. I hear the forks on the 05' are absolutely fantastic. The overall power is the same between the 04' and 05' it is just used differently, the 05' dosent have the big punch in the powerband like the 04' does. I personally like the hard hitting engine for motocross and aggressive trail riding. They are both great bikes and it is not like Yamaha's goal was to make the 05' worse than the 04' just a bit different. :cry:

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 07, 2005 - 12:10 PM

What do you have now? If it were me I would wait for the alumminum frame maybe 06 or 07. I have an 03 and have done a butload of mods, so I am just going to wait for that trick frame. I like the hit of my 03. For 04 i heard they tamed it a little and for 05 they tamed it even more. So if you like the hit and cant wait for the new frame get the 04. But then again the 05 has really good forks they handle some big stuff without bottoming.

• FireMunkie23

Posted January 07, 2005 - 12:36 PM

hmm. maybe an 03 for the time being until the 06's come out. im just afraid of buying a used bike because everyone up grades their bike and then they ride like crazy. and im not a great mechanic so when i go to check a bike out i probably wouldnt know if motor is all crapped out. if i could find a stock 03 450 i might be ok.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 07, 2005 - 12:44 PM

It is always a bit of a risk buying used high end race machines like a YZF. If you purchase a used bike make sure you find someone who knows what to look for. Try to buy a bike that has only had one owner and has been well maintained, look to see if there are oily fingerprints on the oil change section of the manual ect. If the bike has no history available it is probably a bad history. Be careful and pesimistic, buy as new as possible and something that has not been raced. :cry:

• FireMunkie23

Posted January 07, 2005 - 01:21 PM

damn, decisions decisions. an aluminum frame sounds great. i just wonder if they are going to keep making the motor more tame. would it be worth it to buy the 05 and do all the engine up grades so it would keep up with the 03 and 04? the engine mods would be cheaper than a new suspension for the 04 right?¿ but to wait for the 06 i would have to wait a year and i just sold my bike so i would be bikeless. i dont know if i could handle that. i wonder if it would be worth the wait for the 06.

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted January 07, 2005 - 01:32 PM

hmm. maybe an 03 for the time being until the 06's come out. im just afraid of buying a used bike because everyone up grades their bike and then they ride like crazy. and im not a great mechanic so when i go to check a bike out i probably wouldnt know if motor is all crapped out. if i could find a stock 03 450 i might be ok.

Another good way to tell if a bike is well maintained is ask for receipts. That way you know what work has been done and at what intervals. I keep all receipts from oil changes to piston replacements to aftermarket gizmos. :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 07, 2005 - 03:11 PM

I say if you are ready to buy either buy the 05 blue or the 05 red - why wait 8mo's
the 05 suspension is so much better than the 03-04's blue bikes
The 05 Red bike is supposed to be the "perfect bike"
you can always sell the 05 for a 06 in a year! :cry:
my 2cents.........

• BigDesto

Posted January 07, 2005 - 03:17 PM

Another good way to tell if a bike is well maintained is ask for receipts. That way you know what work has been done and at what intervals. I keep all receipts from oil changes to piston replacements to aftermarket gizmos. :cry:

You pay someone to change your oil?? :cry: :cry:

• DoctorRzed

Posted January 07, 2005 - 04:26 PM

, look to see if there are oily fingerprints on the oil change section of the manual ect.

Who ever gets my bikes will see oil puddles in my manual. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted January 07, 2005 - 04:58 PM

05 -- just for the suspension

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted January 07, 2005 - 10:04 PM

You pay someone to change your oil?? :cry: :cry:

Yea. My kid. That way he learns the importance of taking care of the bikes!

• escj

Posted January 08, 2005 - 03:35 PM

What is the Hp of the 05? Is it the same as the 04 but smoother.

• Satch0922

Posted January 08, 2005 - 03:46 PM

EXCELLENT point Nolongergreen.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2005 - 04:44 PM

In general, I also agree with Nolongergreen about racers taking better care of their stuff. BUT, there's another thing to think about (more? damn). I've seen posts from members concerning cracks in the frame around the steering head area. If you are talking about a bike that's been doing big doubles and blazing whoop sections two days a week for a whole year, you could be looking at a weary chassis in general.

Money aside, I think you would spend a lot less on making an '05 run different, if you didn't like it, than you would on making the '04 suspension as good as the '05. But, you can probably get an '04 for $1200 less pretty easily, too.

One last thought. I don't buy new motorcycles. One of the reasons is that I can find a used one with $1500 worth of add-ons for sale for the same price as a stocker most of the time. To get the same stuff on a new bike just costs that much more. :cry:

• FireMunkie23

Posted January 08, 2005 - 09:24 PM

wow now i really dont know what to think. i was gonna go with the 03 because they are really cheap now and just use it until the 06's come out but then i was afraid of getting a lemon bike. so then i thought of getting a brand spankin new 05 and hear the power was reduced compared to the 04. so if i go with the 04 i have to upgrade the suspension. no matter what im gonna end up spending a butt load of money right? and that is what i was trying to avoid doing. this would be my first nice bike. ive had old used bikes before but now that i have the money i want somthing nice. but i dont want it to be a money pit at the same time. geez. it sucks being stingey with my money i just dont want to regret my purchase.

• Satch0922

Posted January 08, 2005 - 09:34 PM

if you wait for an 06 you will not get a lemon bike

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 08, 2005 - 11:46 PM

If you keep your eyes open you 'll be able to find a good used bike. I've seen some good vet owned bikes on ebay, and traderonline. A good thing to look for is to see of the paint is rubbed off of the frame where the boots rub. I came across a 03 450 a few months ago that was bought by an old guy to ride with his grandson. But the grandson got disinterested.He had not even scuffed up the paint on the frame, original grips, bars, graphics and good recipts.:cry: It was not dirt cheap but it was a good deal, still had fuzzies on the sides of the original tire. You can find bikes like that you just have to be patient and look everywhere. Good luck!!

• DPW

Posted January 09, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Somebody needs a clean '03 ?

• Butta

Posted January 09, 2005 - 12:38 PM

so then i thought of getting a brand spankin new 05 and hear the power was reduced compared to the 04. so if i go with the 04 i have to upgrade the suspension.

Have you ridden an '05 yet?? I bought one about three weeks ago, and I'm telling you this thing is loaded with power. The power is spread over a broader range, so it's more useable....DON'T THINK IT'S UNDERPOWERED!!!! I love it, and find the power to be incredible. (I came off riding souped-up 400's).

If you want a bike, then get a bike. If you want a new one, get the '05 450....you won't be disappointed. If you want a used one, find a good deal on an '04 and don't look back. If you want to wait for the '06's, then do that. Don't get lost in the details. If you constantly are waiting for the next best thing, then you'll be missing out on some valuable riding time.

My last words of wis-dumb: buy the '05....ride the crap out of it for three years, then buy an '08. The alum frame will be perfected by then, and you will have had three great years on an awesome bike!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.