what chain do you run?

58 replies to this topic
  • miked254mx

Posted January 08, 2005 - 07:30 PM

I've used many chains and regina have lasted by far the longest, and theyre quite cheap compared to the others.

• 642MX

Posted January 08, 2005 - 08:44 PM

Can't go wrong with a Regina.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 09, 2005 - 05:06 AM

I agree completely with Digilude, I just keep my chain clean and lubed and I have only adjusted it twice in 6 months. And I ride a lot. My dad on the other hand does not ride much, and the other day we noticed that one of the o-rings was gone on his o-ring chain. Now it will wear that link much faster than the others. and eventually toast the sprocket. I also use the ek mrd chain:thumbsup:

With logic like this, why don't you remove the selas from all of your bearings? After all, you cannot get lube in there and eventually all the sealed in lube will be gone and they will wear, right? Buy a GOOD sealed chain (the cheapies will fall apart quickly) and it will last a long long long time as compared to non-sealed.

• jpivey

Posted January 09, 2005 - 04:27 PM

DID 520 MX Strongest non-o-ring they make! :cry:

Same :cry:

• Scooter426

Posted January 09, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Definitely buy an o-ring or x-ring chain. Far longer life. The non-ring chains are for racers (sponsored) who change their chains often. They get lighter weight and less friction in trade for shorter life. They also get chains for free (or very cheap).

I use DID, EK, or Regina chains.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 09, 2005 - 10:44 PM

With logic like this, why don't you remove the selas from all of your bearings? After all, you cannot get lube in there and eventually all the sealed in lube will be gone and they will wear, right? Buy a GOOD sealed chain (the cheapies will fall apart quickly) and it will last a long long long time as compared to non-sealed.

Every 3 months or so I do remove all the seals from my bearings and repack them. I dont think you can do that with an o-ring chain. but when you lube a non o-ring then you are in theory "repacking" the link with lubricant. Also I ordered the chain for my dad, It is a DID o-ring. And it was not the cheap one. He does not power wash it and it is stored inside at all times. So maybe it had a bad o-ring from beginning:excuseme: .

• Satch0922

Posted January 10, 2005 - 06:24 AM

Every 3 months or so I do remove all the seals from my bearings and repack them. I dont think you can do that with an o-ring chain. but when you lube a non o-ring then you are in theory "repacking" the link with lubricant. .

Grease that is packed or injected into the links and pins and then sealed off with an o-ring is COMPLETELY different that squirting chain lube onto a chain. For one the chain lube never penetrates the entire pin, two most people don't make but a half assed attempt to lube them and three what does the lube do after you squirt it on??? it slings right out and in comes the dirt/ water/ mud etc.

Like I said before....throw theory out the door......the chain that handles a thumpers torque the best has been an o-ring chain for me.

Now I shall unsubscribe from this post......can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..........

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:14 PM

Grease that is packed or injected into the links and pins and then sealed off with an o-ring is COMPLETELY different that squirting chain lube onto a chain. For one the chain lube never penetrates the entire pin, two most people don't make but a half assed attempt to lube them and three what does the lube do after you squirt it on??? it slings right out and in comes the dirt/ water/ mud etc.

Like I said before....throw theory out the door......the chain that handles a thumpers torque the best has been an o-ring chain for me.

Now I shall unsubscribe from this post......can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..........

Just like you stated. The o-ring chain has worked the best for YOU!. However, I have used both with the same model and make sprocket, putting on new sprockets on at the same time and the non o-ring has worked best For ME! As far as cost of a o-ring vs. non o-ring the non o-ring lasted just as long for ME and cost less as well. It also did not rob my rear wheel of horsepower. Also my chain maintenence technique is much different than the one you stated so maybe thats why it works for ME! I soak my chain in chain lube every so often after cleaning it in solvent. It will go many rides before I even hear a squeak. The water you led me to was water I had already tried and it was not any better.

It IS easier to maintain an o-ring chain, but I don't mind the extra maintenance, and extra horsies.:cry:

Thats my two cents, However, it is only MY OPINION. and MY EXPERIENCE. Yours may differ.:cry:

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:48 PM

...I don't mind the extra maintenance, and extra horsies.:cry:

Extra horsies? How many? And why? Before you say "all that exra friction from those 236 O-rings", bear in mind that at any given moment, no more than 8 are actually moving, and then only the four bending onto and off of the front sprocket are moving as much as 25 degrees. Until I see a dyno chart (now watch one pop up), I doubt it.

• Satch0922

Posted January 10, 2005 - 05:56 PM

awww heck Grayracer I got sucked in again! LOL

"I soak my chain in chain lube every so often after cleaning it in solvent" - what a mess your bike must be! LOL Time=Money.....you obviously have alot of both

"It also did not rob my rear wheel of horsepower" LMAO - you know if you would have said you use a standard chain for weight savings I would have been with ya....but the horsepower robbing scenario is all nonsense. As a matter of fact, FFRacing proposed that an oring chain has less drag and friction at operating temp because it is better lubricated than a standard chain. Even if that were not true (but I think it is) GrayRacer is correct in that a very limited number of pins are moving at the same and only smal increments. And if your riding a big thumper and can tell the difference then your bike as other problems.

But if winning this arguement is what your lookin for ......I concede LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crayztwentyseven

Posted January 10, 2005 - 06:22 PM

If you go back to the first page and look at my first post I stated that I run the chain I run becasue it is quite light.

Sorry Satch, I am not here to win any arguments, or start any. I am just here to try to help and learn. This entire site is nothing but people talking about personal experiences. So I was just adding in mine.

• inte

Posted January 10, 2005 - 07:36 PM

If you go back to the first page and look at my first post I stated that I run the chain I run becasue it is quite light.

I ended up installing a Regina O-Ring Gold Chain - seems like a great chain for the money.

I run a non O-ring chain on my Gas Gas trials bike for the same reasons crazytwentyseven mentioned - light, really does appear to turn easier & things are very sensitive on that bike.

I come from the cross-country mountain bike world, so chain maintenance isn't a big deal to me - I to extensive cleaning/lube on the bike after every ride (use toothbrushes ... a little OCD I suppose). I decided on O-ring chains for the Yamaha & the KTM as I like to to LONG rides whenever possible (cross state & international borders on the KTM), so maintenance simply isn't convenient or even possible at times. I just stash a can of WD-40 for the really long rides to help clean it & keep it from rusting when sitting out overnight.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Inte: It sounds like you have done some really fun rides on that KTM. :cry:

BTW where did you go? I'm only asking because I'm slowly:( rebuilding an xr 650 to do some real long dual sport adventures on this coming summer, but I have not decided where to go. Any suggestions?

• DigilubeJay

Posted January 11, 2005 - 03:15 AM

OK...try to get off the thought that your thumper has so many untamed horsies, and it's such a brute that only the strongest spacepage metals will keep the chain and sprockets together. It just aint so. There are other reasons your stuff wears out, and none of it has to do with the brute strength of your thumper.
No theory here, just fact.

When I see that a person states that the lubricant never gets to the friction area of the pin/bushing of a chain, I sound off with a big BINGO! Not only do we need to perform proper adjustments/cleaning/lubrication, we also need to be using the proper lubricant. It's a fact that most all motorcycle specific chain lubes on the market are complete crap and should NOT be used. I don't care how much marketing genius and money is spent making you believe that these lubes are the bomb, it just aint so. If you are using a lubricant that is not specifically a penetrating lube, you are doing more harm than good.

Maxima, Belray(including Super Clean), Spectro, Silkolene, WD-40, any chain wax, any parafin based lube....ALL CRAP.

On ring chains....It matters not how much money you spend on the ring chain, it can have a torn ring after one ride. All it takes is a well placed branch to kill a ring. The chain and sprockets are on a downhill slide that can't be recovered from at that point. Using a crappy wax or sticky lube can also kill a ring chain. This type of lube will attract dirt and sand to the rings and create a grinding compound that will eat a ring in no time flat.
And as far as maintenance is concerned, the ring chain should be given every bit as much care as the standard chain...if you want good service out of it.
The rings must be lubed on a regular basis to keep the rings supple and doing their job. There are also friction surfaces that are not protected by the factory placed lube. These places must be lubed by you.

Heck...don't "unsubscribe" from the thread...hang around and get edjumacated. (or engage in debate and show me wrong) :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted January 11, 2005 - 04:51 AM

ok you guys win...

Real world......Dumb Satch puts non oring chain on his 426, lubes it after every moto, adjusts it after every race. Chain lube slung everywhere LOL

Dumb Satch gets lazy, installs a Regina O-ring chain, lubes after washing to keep it from rusting, adjusts it one time from June 04 until December 04 and rides it every weekend. Bike stays clean, still doesn't need another chain.

There is "My" theory. If that sounds like what your looking for (the second scenario) then go with an o-ring chain.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 11, 2005 - 05:02 AM

.........Dumb Satch gets lazy, installs a Regina O-ring chain, lubes after washing to keep it from rusting, adjusts it one time from June 04 until December 04 and rides it every weekend. Bike stays clean, still doesn't need another chain.

There is "My" theory. If that sounds like what your looking for (the second scenario) then go with an o-ring chain.

Dumb sirthumpalot did the same thing. Installed a DID ERV2 (top of the heap x-ring) much over a year ago, just now starting to need adjustment on occasion. Did I mention this chain is now riding on the second set of sprockets for the same chain? Lube once every riding day and that's it. Can you guess what chain I'm putting back on when this set of Ironman sprockets are finally worn out? :cry:

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:14 AM

OK...try to get off the thought that your thumper has so many untamed horsies, and it's such a brute that only the strongest spacepage metals will keep the chain and sprockets together. It just aint so. There are other reasons your stuff wears out, and none of it has to do with the brute strength of your thumper.
No theory here, just fact.

When I see that a person states that the lubricant never gets to the friction area of the pin/bushing of a chain, I sound off with a big BINGO! Not only do we need to perform proper adjustments/cleaning/lubrication, we also need to be using the proper lubricant. It's a fact that most all motorcycle specific chain lubes on the market are complete crap and should NOT be used. I don't care how much marketing genius and money is spent making you believe that these lubes are the bomb, it just aint so. If you are using a lubricant that is not specifically a penetrating lube, you are doing more harm than good.

Maxima, Belray(including Super Clean), Spectro, Silkolene, WD-40, any chain wax, any parafin based lube....ALL CRAP.

On ring chains....It matters not how much money you spend on the ring chain, it can have a torn ring after one ride. All it takes is a well placed branch to kill a ring. The chain and sprockets are on a downhill slide that can't be recovered from at that point. Using a crappy wax or sticky lube can also kill a ring chain. This type of lube will attract dirt and sand to the rings and create a grinding compound that will eat a ring in no time flat.
And as far as maintenance is concerned, the ring chain should be given every bit as much care as the standard chain...if you want good service out of it.
The rings must be lubed on a regular basis to keep the rings supple and doing their job. There are also friction surfaces that are not protected by the factory placed lube. These places must be lubed by you.

Heck...don't "unsubscribe" from the thread...hang around and get edjumacated. (or engage in debate and show me wrong) :cry:

What kind of chain lube do you run?:cry:

• SCOTTYZF426FLA

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:24 AM

[size=5]RK CHAINS GXW XW-RING CHAIN[/size]

Sidewinder Tri Metal... 0 wear adjusted once in 6 months of riding. 04 YZ 450.

• revolucien

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:45 AM

520 120 link D.I.D. ERT Gold chain. :cry:

Got the same one, works great. fairly inexpesive and a little bling too:thumbsup:

• inte

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:49 AM

Inte: It sounds like you have done some really fun rides on that KTM. :cry:

BTW where did you go? I'm only asking because I'm slowly:( rebuilding an xr 650 to do some real long dual sport adventures on this coming summer, but I have not decided where to go. Any suggestions?

Check out this link - ride list.

For longer multi-day rides check out:
"big cat, little cat, gotta crash sometime"
"not a bad way to see baja - nothern baja desert tour"

For local (but long) single-day rides check out:
"greg crashed, bob flatted, and I got hit by a car: An Adventure Ride"
"the connecting road was found!"
"362 mile trail of a thousand gates - a ride to the mexican border..."
"sun-rain-snow-dust-night: a ride report"
"'81 Honda, '03 KTM, and broken ball joints - a ride ending with an eclectic gang..."
"photos from a fun friday morning - KTM 640 & 950 head over saddleback"
"socal fires - a few aftermath pics"

plus any of the "saddleback rides". There a several more of these - many of the reports have overview maps at the end. Depending on where you are in CA, you could do a lot of these rides relatively conveniently.

For some trials exploration madness check out:
"a new way through lucern, ca"
"happiness is free reign over untracked land with a machete..."

Just be very careful ... um, deciding what chain to run...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.