what chain do you run?

58 replies to this topic
  • inte

Posted January 07, 2005 - 08:16 AM

I just picked up my '02 YZ426 & everything on it is original stock. Hasn't seen much use, so it's all in good condition - but the chain sure seemed flimsy & showed some wear despite the sprockets looking good. A bunch of you mentioned that the stock chain is "tin-foil" in another thread I posted.

So now the question becomes - what chain should I run? I'm doing mostly desert/trail riding.

• terrymc

Posted January 07, 2005 - 08:26 AM

I am using a Regina O-ring chain right now and it is wearing well. I'll be putting a new Moose O-ring chain on for an upcoming trip to Baja.

IIRC it's 520 and about 112 ~ 114 links (I just buy the 120 links and cut down)

• yz400fl1

Posted January 07, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I had a Rental non-oring chain and it lasted for years. The only reason I changed it the other day was because I had to change the sprokets. Now I have a Regina Z-ring chain.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 07, 2005 - 11:24 AM

520 120 link D.I.D. ERT Gold chain. :cry:

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 07, 2005 - 12:19 PM

EK 520MRD chain. It has holes in all of the sideplates, :cry: it is much lighter than most other chains, been running it on ironman sprockets for 6 months and NO Visible wear! :cry: :cry: And I ride twice every week.

• CRFThumper

Posted January 07, 2005 - 01:34 PM

D.i.d. Erv2

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2005 - 02:39 PM

Regina's premium Gold O-ring chain. The most unstretchable, indestructible chain I've ever seen, including the DID X-ring. :cry: :cry:

• BigDesto

Posted January 07, 2005 - 02:56 PM

DID 520 MX Strongest non-o-ring they make! :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:52 PM

Regina's premium Gold O-ring chain. The most unstretchable, indestructible chain I've ever seen, including the DID X-ring. :cry: :cry:

I ran the Regina gold O-ring on my 426 and did not have to adjust the chain from June-December!! And I rode it almost every weekend !
:cry:

• JT_Thumpster

Posted January 07, 2005 - 09:43 PM

D.i.d. Erv2

wear index is very high and it has like an 8400 lb tensile strength, this will be my next chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DigilubeJay

Posted January 08, 2005 - 02:37 AM

Tensile strength, as well as wear index, is a marketing ploy.
Granted, if the tensile strength is rated high then the chain will be made of quality metal. However, the wear index of a chain is completely dependant on the care you give your chain and sprockets. (keep in mind that a 500cc 2-stroke can create about 1800-2000 lbs of pull on a good day...why do you need 10,000lbs of tensile strength?)

If you tend to neglect proper chain and sprocket maintenance, then you should choose a chain that allows you to ride for a good while without doing much of anything..ie a ring chain.

But, if you perform proper adjustments, cleaning, and lubrication you can enjoy even higher wear life from a standard chain than you can get out of a top-shelf ring chain.
Once a ring chain has consumed the factory placed lubricant, it is on a downhill slide that you can do nothing about, save for watch it grow and deform your sprocket teeth.
But with a standard chain that is taken good care of, you can see it's life go past that of a top quality ring chain. Due mainly to the fact that you can continue to provide it with fresh lubrication.

I currently use an EK 520 MRDG on my 444F. It has been a very good chain that is built with close tolerences. On sloppy/muddy rides, I mount up an RK XSO ring chain.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 08, 2005 - 02:44 AM

If money is no object and you want the maximum wear life, then the DID ERV2 is THE way to go! You''ll need a rivet tool to install it. The DID VM x-ring is also a great chain.

• Satch0922

Posted January 08, 2005 - 07:12 AM

Once a ring chain has consumed the factory placed lubricant, it is on a downhill slide that you can do nothing about, save for watch it grow and deform your sprocket teeth.
But with a standard chain that is taken good care of, you can see it's life go past that of a top quality ring chain. Due mainly to the fact that you can continue to provide it with fresh lubrication.

I disagree. Not from a theory perspective but real world experience. I have never had a regular chain last and resist stretching like the Regina O-Ring I had on my 426. I have used DID, RK, Renthal, Regina and this is the best chain by far. I currently have an RK GB520MXZ3 on my 05 YZ250 however it only has one ride on it.

• JRAMBO

Posted January 08, 2005 - 07:33 AM

DID ert gold chain

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 08, 2005 - 11:22 AM

Tensile strength, as well as wear index, is a marketing ploy.
Granted, if the tensile strength is rated high then the chain will be made of quality metal. However, the wear index of a chain is completely dependant on the care you give your chain and sprockets. (keep in mind that a 500cc 2-stroke can create about 1800-2000 lbs of pull on a good day...why do you need 10,000lbs of tensile strength?)

If you tend to neglect proper chain and sprocket maintenance, then you should choose a chain that allows you to ride for a good while without doing much of anything..ie a ring chain.

But, if you perform proper adjustments, cleaning, and lubrication you can enjoy even higher wear life from a standard chain than you can get out of a top-shelf ring chain.

I currently use an EK 520 MRDG on my 444F. It has been a very good chain that is built with close tolerences. On sloppy/muddy rides, I mount up an RK XSO ring chain.

I agree completely with Digilude, I just keep my chain clean and lubed and I have only adjusted it twice in 6 months. And I ride a lot. My dad on the other hand does not ride much, and the other day we noticed that one of the o-rings was gone on his o-ring chain. Now it will wear that link much faster than the others. and eventually toast the sprocket. I also use the ek mrd chain:thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted January 08, 2005 - 12:17 PM

torn or missing orings are typically from improper cleaning and maintenance.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2005 - 02:36 PM

I disagree. Not from a theory perspective but real world experience. I have never had a regular chain last and resist stretching like the Regina O-Ring I had on my 426. I have used DID, RK, Renthal, Regina and this is the best chain by far.

:cry::thumbsup: I have never had ANY chain last and resist stretching like the Regina O-Ring!
BTW, the top of the line Renthal Gold R1 IS a Regina Gold. It just costs $15-$20 more with the Renthal brand on it.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 08, 2005 - 03:27 PM

anyone have any experience with the CZ o-ring chain available from W.E.R. ?? $79 made in czekoslovakia?

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2005 - 04:32 PM

No, but if the quality is anything like that of the motorcycles that company once built, it should be almost indestructible.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 08, 2005 - 05:26 PM

i'm gonna give it a try,will let everyone know how it works. you can't beat that old world quality!:cry:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.