So.CAl 05 WR450, Hard Start

17 replies to this topic
  • JDube

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hey All, need help. I just purchased a California 05 WR450. I removed the throttle stop and have a hard time starting when cold. Some of the forums suggest to get a jetting kit and make a few changes. I'm an older dude and havn't rode in 20 years or so. 2-stroke was my game, the new 450 is 4-weeks old and hadn't been on the dirt because of the local weather. How can I keep my bike for just all around riding and not need to make carb changes evertime I go out? An easy start would work for me just fine. What do you suggest?

• jerryls

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:40 PM

You really do need set up the jetting for summer and winter at a bare minimum. Getting the JD kit is probably the easiest approach.

Which pilot jet do you have in? I use a 48 for cooler weather. A 72 starter jet seems to help too. And make sure your fuel screw is adjusted correctly. Based upon what I've read here, the fuel screw on the '05's is sealed off. Get an adjustable fuel screw and put it in (but I have no idea how that's done :cry: )

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:44 PM

For easier starting I recommend:

75 starter jet for below 40 degrees
72 starter jet for 40 to 60 degrees
68 starter jet for 60 to 80 degrees
65 starter jet for above 80 degrees

Or you can develop a pump the throttle just right and hope ritual to your starting like most TT members do. E-start has trouble below 30 degrees. Above 30 degrees I can use the E-start.
I recommend rejeting for each season. :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:07 PM

As far as the starting issue try raising the idle speed. When I first got mine before any tuning was done to the carb I had to bump it up just so it would start easier.

• JDube

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the valuble info, what JD kit do you sugest and where can I purchase, any local Yam dealer? this is the first I've heard of this, like I said been ot of the game for many years. Will I still have a pretty cool bike without all the big overpriced pipe kits?

• JDube

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:31 PM

Can't wait to try the idle screw!

• JDube

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:38 PM

I have no idea what size all the jets are. I guess I'll start taring down the carb just to see what the heck is in der. Holly cow, what happend to 1-fuel line, 2- breather tubes, 1-throttle cable. X-that by 10 on this bike! LOL... Took a 1/2 hour to remove the throttle stop, too funny I never removed the carb. Was it OK to cut the entire stop and put the screw back in?

• breezeblocker

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:16 PM

sounds like you better call an electrician :cry: :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Mine was hard to start for the first couple days or so too, I dont know how much riding you have done on it but mine began running fine after a couple days.

Good Luck

Rich

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:53 AM

Mine was hard to start for the first couple days or so too, I dont know how much riding you have done on it but mine began running fine after a couple days.

Good Luck

Rich

Funny, I feel the same way. What I've done is to just kick the bike in the morning, the estart works fine but it likes your leg better. But I agree, after the bike is broken in it starts easier for some reason.. :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted January 07, 2005 - 07:36 AM

I have no idea what size all the jets are. I guess I'll start taring down the carb just to see what the heck is in der. Holly cow, what happend to 1-fuel line, 2- breather tubes, 1-throttle cable. X-that by 10 on this bike! LOL... Took a 1/2 hour to remove the throttle stop, too funny I never removed the carb. Was it OK to cut the entire stop and put the screw back in?

You're kidding right? There are specs on here for the throttle stop length. I just bought the YZ stop.

Buy the JD jet kit from the Thumper Talk store, they are sold bike specific.

• JDube

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:32 PM

That's funny, I've been in the electrical trade for over 20-years. GOOD GUESS DUDE!

• JDube

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:38 PM

All I've been able to do is ride on the street in front of my house. 6-miles on the odom and no dirt yet. Poor weather conditions lately in so cal, can't wait to try all the ideas from the gang. Thanks for the info.

• jasilva

Posted January 07, 2005 - 08:52 PM

If you cut the screw to short your throttle slide can jam wide open :cry: either get the YZ throttle stop or do a search here for the correct length and check yours.(I think its 17mm but don't hold me to that)

Joe

• JDube

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hey Guys, Got some more info, not sure how reliable but would like to know your opinion. My Buddy across the street had the YZF 400,426, and 450. In addition to other information, he said to run only 91 octane(92 was 2-years ago), for so cal thats all we have w/out additive's. I also told him my header pipe gets glowing red when idling, my buddy said not to let idle for more than 1-minute or may need a head gasket soon.? :cry:

• WheelsUp

Posted January 09, 2005 - 08:36 PM

The glowing pipe is totally normal when there's no airflow over it to cool it. You won't notice it outside.
You CAN let it idle for a few minutes... it'll blow coolant out the cap (and into the recovery tank on the WR) long before it gets hot enough to warp the head.
If you've only got 6 miles on it, then yes, it's going to be hard to start.
Try it again after 50 miles and you'll be able to "kick start" it with your hand, but do your bike a favor and don't just start it, cruise it up and down the street, and put it away. You HAVE to get it up to operating temperature and put some speed on it to break it in properly. Minimum, 1/2 hour or so running 1st through 3rd at modest throttle, then start cranking her up. Your valvetrain is getting a decent breakin, but those rings need to seat!

On the throttle stop, the non-threaded part of the screw should be about half of what it was stock, but for $10, just buy the YZ450F screw and it'll be correct.

• joshbeene

Posted January 13, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I just bought my 2005 WR450 also and have had the same prob. It is the jetting. It comes very lean to pass emmisions and when it cold the bike can't start it cause even with the choke on it's still to lean. I just got the jd jet kit and it helped a lot. I am also looking into puting a switch on the headlight because when you try and start the bike with the electric start it draws a lot away from the spark.

• joshbeene

Posted January 13, 2005 - 02:33 PM

I cut 11mm of the throttle stop, that is what I was told and it works great.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.